1) Nation celebrated 65th Republic Day: India celebrated its 65th Republic anniversary with gusto showcasing the nation's ‘unity in diversity’ and defence capabilities in the presence of its Chief Guest Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan in New Delhi on Sunday. Students and security forces across the country vied with each other to show their prowess.
2) World Leprosy Day observed across the world on January 26th: As per the 2011 statistics, India rank’s number one by contributing about 58.1 per cent of new leprosy cases detected worldwide. India has not succeeded in eliminating this disease despite the introduction of multiple drug therapy (MDT) over three decades ago.
3) PAN allotment process to undergo change from 3 February 2014: PAN (Permanent Account Number) allotment process will undergo a change from 3 February 2014. The official release mentioned that an applicant of PAN will have to submit self-attested copies of Proof of Identity (POI), Proof of Address (POA) and Date of Birth (DOB) documents. The applicant will also have to produce the original documents for verification at the counter of PAN facilitation centres.
4) Switzerland's Stanislas Wawrinka won Australian Open 2014: Switzerland's Stanislas Wawrinka claimed his first Grand Slam title in dramatic fashion on Sunday when he upset injury-troubled world number one Rafael Nadal in the Australian Open final. . The eighth seed roared through the first two sets and overcame the distraction of a back injury to Nadal, and then the loss of the third set, to take it 6-3, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 in two hours 21 minutes.
5) Saina Nehwal beats PV Sindhu to win India Grand Prix Gold: India ace shuttler Saina Nehwal snapped her 15 months title drought, clinching the Syed Modi International India Grand Prix Gold badminton crown with a straight-game victory over compatriot PV Sindhu in the women's singles competition, on Sunday. The London Olympics bronze medallist staved off the challenge from Sindhu 21-14 21-17 in the women's singles summit clash, which lasted 40 minutes at the Babu Banarasi Das Indoor Stadium in Lucknow.
6) Tata Motors managing director Karl Slym died: Tata Motors managing director Karl Slym died on Sunday after apparently falling from a high floor of a five-star hotel in Bangkok. Slym, who was scripting a revival strategy for the company, had gone to Thailand to attend a board meeting of the firm's unit there.
7) Sania - Tecau lose in Australian Open mixed doubles: India's Sania Mirza and her Romanian partner Horia Tecau failed to clinch the Australian open mixed doubles title as they lost to French-Canadian combination of Kristina Mladenovic and Daniel Nestor in straight sets in the summit clash in Melbourne on Sunday.
8) MS Dhoni became first captain to play in four tied ODIs: MS Dhoni on 25 January 2014 became the first captain to be involved in four tied One Day International matches. Indian cricket team captain achieved this feat in Auckland, while playing third ODI match against New Zealand.