1) Indian Navy to conduct INS Arihant sea trials in a month: In a move that will pull India a step closer to achieving the “nuclear triad”, Indian Navy is all set to start sea trials for its first indigenously-built nuclear-powered submarine INS Arihant in few weeks, Assistant Chief of Naval Staff Rear Admiral LVS Babu said. INS Arihant's commissioning into the Indian Navy, which is expected till the end of the year, will gift India with the “nuclear triad”, that is the ability to retaliate to nuclear strikes from land, air and sea-based systems.
2) Shashi Tharoor among 13 spokespersons chosen by Congress: In the run-up to 2014 General Elections, Union ministers P Chidambaram, Salman Khurshid, Ghulam Nabi Azad, Anand Sharma and AICC general secretary Mukul Wasnik have been named as senior Congress spokespersons. Shashi Tharoor, Abhishek Manu Singhvi and Jyotiraditya Scindia are among 13 spokespersons chosen by the party.
3) Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal calls off agitation: Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Tuesday evening called off his street-side agitation after getting a face-saver solution from the Centre for his demand seeking punitive action against the Delhi Police, capping a day-and-a-half long drama that saw his Aam Aadmi Party haemorrhage support amid attacks from many quarters for its conduct.
4) Novak Djokovic knocked out by Stanislas Wawrinka in Australian Open: Stanislas Wawrinka upsets Novak Djokovic 2-6, 6-4, 6-2, 3-6, 9-7 in the quarter-finals of the Australian Open to reach his second straight semi-final. The loss ends a 28-match Djokovic win streak which stretches back to a US Open finals loss in early September to Rafael Nadal.
5) Amul launched India’s first ‘milk ATM’: Automatic teller machines not only dispense money, ATM-like machines also vend other products such as chocolates and soft drinks. But Amul has gone a step further: it will now sell milk through “Any Time Milk” vending machines. The pilot project of this 24x7 ATM began with the installation of a vending machine at the gate of Amul Dairy in Anand town of Gujarat on Sunday.
6) Tripura, Manipur, Meghalaya celebrated 42nd statehood day: Three northeastern states - Tripura, Manipur and Meghalaya - celebrated their 42nd statehood day Tuesday. Under the North Eastern Region (reorganisation) Act, 1971, Tripura, Manipur and Meghalaya became full-fledged states Jan 21, 1972.