Daily Current Affairs: 04 January 2014
1) 29-hour countdown starts for launch of GSLV-D5: The 29-hour countdown for the launch of ISRO’s rejuvenated Geo-synchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV-D5) commenced at 11.18 a.m. today at Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota. The GSLV-D5’s first mission attempt with indigenous cryogenic engine was aborted at the eleventh hour on August 19 last year due to a fuel leak in its second stage.
2) World Braille Day observed: Today is World Braille Day. The day is celebrated every year on 4th January to commemorate the Birthday of Louis Braille. Born on 4th January 1809, Louis Braille was the inventor of braille, a system of reading and writing used by people who are blind or visually impaired.
3) Dhoom 3 is highest revenue grosser, ever: ‘Dhoom 3’ has become Bollywood’s highest revenue grosser of all times in just a fortnight after its pan-India release. In India, the Hindi action flick has done net collections of Rs 257 crore while it generated gross earnings of Rs 334 crore, according to trade estimates. Its gross overseas earnings stood at Rs 139 crore as on January 1, sources at Yashraj Films, Dhoom 3’s producers, have said. The film has surpassed Krrish 3 and Chennai Express which grossed Rs 240 crore and Rs 227 crore respectively. Vijay Krishna Acharya was the director of the movie.
4) India crush Pakistan to win U-19 Asia Cup title: India skipper Vijay Zol (100) and Sanju Samson (100) scored contrasting centuries as India colts posted a comprehensive 40-run win over arch-rivals Pakistan to clinch the Under-19 Asia Cup title, on Saturday. India reached 314 for eight in their allotted 50 overs. In reply, Pakistan could reach 274 for nine, despite a fighting ton from Kamran Ghulam (102 not out; 89b, 12X4s).
5) AAP to fight coming LS elections in as many states as possible: Aam Aadmi Party will fight coming Lok Sabha elections in as many states as possible. Briefing media persons after the national executive committee meeting of the party in New Delhi today, senior AAP leader Prashant Bhushan said the party will decide about the seats and candidates for the upcoming elections within one month.
6) Mere Sapno Ka Bharat to be BJP's new social mantra: Mere Sapno Ka Bharat will be new social mantra for BJP to get ground-level feedback and gauge people’s pulse and aspirations. A core group in the party is giving final touches to this campaign to be launched shortly, Smriti Z. Irani, BJP Vice President, said.
7) Video footage of Devyani Khobragade strip search is hoax: US- A video currently in circulation on the social media, which claims to be allegedly showing the CCTV footage of the strip search of Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade after her arrest in New York is a hoax, dangerous and provocative fabrication, the United States has said.
8) Asia Cup to go ahead in Dhaka as scheduled: Asia’s cricket chiefs today said violence-plagued Bangladesh would remain the venue for next month’s Asia Cup and added Afghanistan as the fifth team in the regional one-day tournament. “The tournament will go ahead as scheduled in Bangladesh from February 25 to March 7,” Asian Cricket Council chief executive Ashraful Huq told AFP after an executive board meeting in Colombo.
9) Kejriwal says no to five-bedroom flats: Facing criticism, the Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal today announced his decision not to take up the two five-bedroom duplex flats he has been allotted.
10) Manmohan lays foundation stone for TCS learning campus: Tata Consultancy Services will set up what it terms to be the world’s largest corporate learning and development centre in Thiruvananthapuram. At this campus, the country’s largest software exporter would be able to train 50,000 of its staffers annually. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh laid the foundation stone for the project today.
11) N P Singh promoted as CEO at Multi Screen Media: Multi-Screen Media, formerly known as SET India , said that it has promoted its Chief Operation Officer N P Singh to the position of Chief Executive Officer from immediate effect.
12) Williams beats Azarenka, defends Brisbane title: Serena Williams has carried her momentum from 2013 into the new season, beating No. 2-ranked Victoria Azarenka 6-4, 7-5 on Saturday to defend her title at the Brisbane International and set the tone for the Australian Open.
13) Sholay 3d released : One of Indian cinema's most popular cult classic films 'Sholay' 3D is released on January 3, 38 years after its original release.