Daily Current Affairs: 03 January 2014
1) M.S. Dhir of AAP elected new Speaker of Delhi Assembly: After a smooth sailing in the confidence vote, AAP on Friday scored yet another victory in the Delhi Assembly when its candidate M S Dhir was elected Speaker with the backing of Congress, JD(U) and an Independent.
2) Justice Ganguly resigns as NUJS faculty: West Bengal Human Rights Commission chairman Justice A.K. Ganguly on Friday resigned from the post of honorary professor of the National University of Juridical Sciences, a student of which had made allegations of sexual harassment against him.
3) Manoj Vaish appointed as MCX MD & CEO: Multi Commodity Exchange of India Ltd (MCX) has a new Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer in Manoj Vaish. Vaish is currently the Managing Director of NSDL Database Management.
4) Corporation Bank launches campaign for agri credit delivery: Corporation Bank has launched a year-long campaign for the delivery of agriculture credit and financial inclusion initiatives at all its branches.
5) Indian Overseas Bank launches IOB-Connect card: Targeting young individuals, public sector Indian Overseas Bank today launched ‘Connect Card’, a new ATM cum Debit card in association with VISA that can be used for e-commerce across five lakh merchant outlets.
6) MPs vote Thatcher best UK PM in survey: Iron lady Margaret Thatcher has been voted the most successful post-war British Prime Minister by lawmakers in a survey in which Winston Churchill came a distant fourth.
7) New GM for Central Railway: Sunil Kumar Sood has been appointed General Manager, Central Railway with effect from December 31, 2013.
8) Tata Sons appoints S Venkateswaran as Chief Tata sustainability Group: Tata Sons announced appointment of Shankar Venkateswaran as Chief — Tata Sustainability Group with the responsibility of driving group level initiatives in the sustainability space, and guiding Tata Sons and the group companies on sustainability and CSR initiatives.
9) Serena to meet Azarenka in Brisbane international finals: Serena Williams of United States defeated Russia's Maria Sharapova in straights 6-2, 7-6 to enter the finals of the Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane on Friday. Serena Williams will meet Victoria Azarenka in the final.
10) India beat Sri Lanka to play U-19 Asia Cup final: India qualified to play against Pakistan in the final of the Asian Cricket Council Under-19 Asia Cup when they defeated Sri Lanka by three wickets in the second semi-finals played.
11) Moolam Thirunal appointed head of Travancore royal house: Moolam Thirunal Rama Varma, nephew of late Uthradom Thirunal Marthanda Varma who passed away last month, was on Friday installed as the new head of the Travancore royal family and the custodian of the Sree Padmanabha Swami Temple.