Daily Current Affairs: 02 January 2014
1) AAP govt won trust vote in Delhi Assembly; CM Kejriwal says it's a victory for truth and honesty: Aadmi Party (AAP) won the confidence vote to rule Delhi, after Congress said it will support the new government in public interest. Speaking during the debate on the vote, Kejriwal said “we want to bring Swaraj, self-rule, in Delhi”. He said politicians forced the Aam Aadmi Party to contest the elections.
2) India and Maldives ink several pacts: India and the Maldives on Thursday have agreed to jointly patrol and conduct surveillance to strengthen mariti
me security in the Indian Ocean Region. Briefing the media after holding delegation level talks with Maldivian President Yameen Abdul Gayoom in New Delhi on Thursday afternoon, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said, India is ready to provide further assistance to the Maldives to enhance capability to address shared security challenges.
3) Musharraf suffered heart attack, rushed to hospital: In a dramatic turn of events, former Pakistani military dictator Pervez Musharraf was today admitted to an army hospital after he complained of “heart problem” on his way to a special court to face trial in a high treason case.
4) Ashraf Jehan, first female judge in Pak’s National Sharia Court: Ashraf Jehan a female judge sworn-in at Pakistan’s national sharia court which hears cases under the Islamic legislation.
5) Ex-UN envoy Hardeep Singh Puri joined BJP: Career diplomat Hardeep Singh Puri, who recently retired as India’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations, today joined BJP.
6) Schumacher's health ‘stable’ but injury still critical: Doctors- Formula One legend Michael Schumacher remained “stable” but was still in a critical condition today after four nights in hospital battling severe brain injuries following a skiing accident in France.
7) Freedom fighter and veteran urdu journalist Ishrat Ali Siddiqui dead: Freedom fighter, veteran Journalist and Padm Shree awardee Ishrat Ali Siddiqui died in Lucknow today.
8) Canara Bank launched skill development programme for J&K youth: Canara Bank, as part of its corporate social responsibility (CSR), has launched ‘Udaan’ in Jammu and Kashmir in co-ordination with NSDC (National Skill Development Corporation) and the Government of Jammu & Kashmir (J&K).
9) Devendra Kumar Pathak appointed as Special DG, BSF: Devendra Kumar Pathak has been appointed as the Special DG, Border Security Force (BSF) on 30 December 2013. At the time of his appointment in BSF, he was serving as the Special DG, Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).
10) Chile takes seat at UNSC: Chile took its seat at the United Nations Security Council(UNSC) as a non-permanent member of the international body till Dec 31, 2015.
11) P K Saxena new GM of South Western Railway: Pradeep Kumar Saxena has taken over charge as full-fledged General Manager of South Western Railway (SWR).
12) International Theatre Festival from Jan 27: Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Akademi would be conducting the sixth edition of the International Theatre Festival of Kerala (ITFOK) from January 27 to February 3, 2014 at Thrissur.