25 January 2014
1) Election Commission of India celebrated the 4th National Voters Day across the country.
2) Padma Awards announced by Government (2 Padma Vibhushan, 24 Padma Bhushan and 101 Padma Shri). Dr. Raghunath A. Mashelkar and BKS Iyengar awarded with Padma Vibhushan. Actors Kamal Haasan and Vidya Balan, tennis player Leander Paes, cricketer Yuvraj Singh, and former chief justice of India, the late JS Verma are among the prominent persons who were conferred with the Padma awards. 27 of the Awardees are women.
3) Japanese PM Shinzo Abe arrived in New Delhi on a three-day official trip to India.
4) Third ODI between India-New Zealand ended in a thrilling tie.
5) China's Li Na won Australia Open 2014 singles title defeating Dominika Cibulkova by 7-6 (7-3) 6-0.Li Na, 32, also became the oldest winner of the women's title, surpassing Margaret Court who was 30 when she became champion in 1973.
6) Bangalore became the first city in India to offer free Wi-Fi spots for the public.
24 January 2014
1) India observed 7th 'National Girl Child Day'. The theme of this year is ‘Safety and Development of girl child’.
2) India & China launched Year of Friendly Exchanges.
3) Nation's largest lender State Bank of India launched Youtube Channel.
4) Rajasthan, Tripura, Karnataka, Delhi bagged Election Commisssion award for best electoral practices.
5) Catherine Samba-Panza became the first woman president of war-torn Central African Republic.
6) Dravida Munnettra Kazhagam (DMK) has temporarily suspended its south zone organising secretary, MK Alagiri.
7) Sania Mirza and her Romanian team-mate Horia Tecau advanced into the mixed-doubles finals in the Australian Open 2014.
8) Indian-American AJ Paulraj wins Marconi Prize 2014.
23 January 2014
1) India celebrated 117th birth anniversary of Subhas Chandra Bose.
2) Saina Nehwal slipped to 9th in BWF rankings.
3) Indian-origin professor Rakesh Khurana has been appointed Dean of the prestigious Harvard College.
4) Kerala bagged the prestigious United Nations World Tourism Organisation’s Ulysses Award for “innovation in public policy and governance”.
5) Cumbria University of UK became the first public university to accept fees in digital currency 'Bitcoin'.
6) Alok Sinha has been given the additional charge of Chairman of Airports Authority of India after the removal of V P Agarwal.
7) Real Madrid retained title of world's richest soccer club.
22 January 2014
1) Reserve Bank decided to withdraw all currency notes issued prior to 2005 after March 31.
2) Legendary Telegu actor Akkineni Nageswara Rao died in Hyderabad at the age of 90. He was the Dadasaheb Phalke award winner in the year 1990.
3) Govt launched LPG portability across India.
4) Kailash Meghwal elected as Rajasthan Assembly Speaker.
5) T. Nanda Kumar to be appointed new Chairman of the National Dairy Development Board (NDDB).
6) Google acquired cybersecurity firm Impermium for 9 million dollar.
7) Indian Energy Exchange appoints S N Goel as CEO & MD.
8) Advanced Light Helicopter 'Garuda Vasudha' dedicated to Geological Survey of India.
21 January 2014
1) Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal called off his dharna against Delhi Police.
2) MF revised India's growth rate to 4.6 per cent for the financial year 2013-14.
3) Aruna Bahuguna became the first woman head of National Police Academy (NPA) since its inception in 1948.
4) Kapurthala (Punjab) gets world's second and nation's first 'Climate Change Theatre'.
5) Novak Djokovic knocked out by Stanislas Wawrinka in Australian Open.
6) Amul launched India’s first ‘milk ATM’
7) Tripura, Manipur, Meghalaya celebrated 42nd statehood day.
20 January 2014
1) Nuclear capable Agni-IV missile test-fired from Odisha.
2) Jain community granted minority status by Union Government.
3) Sudhir Gupta appointed new Secretary of TRAI.
4) Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Gulam Nabi Azad launched the National Urban Health Mission in Bangalore.
5) Abhishikta S Shetty of Karnataka won Miss South India Pageant Title.
6) Mitchell Johnson won Allan Border Medal.
19 January 2014
1) Dhoni becomes first Indian keeper to cross 300 dismissals in ODIs.
2) Technopark in Kerala became nation's largest IT park.
3) Global retail giant Wal-Mart has registered a new company in India called 'Wal-Mart India Private Ltd'.
4) Cyrus Mistry wins DSC Prize for 2014.
5) Kenya's Evans Ruto and Dinknesh Mekash of Ethiopia win the 11th Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon on Men and Women category.