Daily Current Affairs: 04 December 2013
1) Delhi witnessed record turnout in tight triangular contest: A record 66 per cent Delhiites voted today in the fiercely fought assembly polls, considered the litmus test for Congress ahead of the next year’s Lok Sabha elections, as arch rival BJP and debutant Aam Aadmi Party made it a tight triangular contest.
2) Mangalyaan travels beyond SOI extending 9.25 lakh kms: India’s maiden mission to Mars has traversed beyond the sphere of influence (SOI) of Earth extending about 9,25,000 km in its 10-month long voyage to the red planet.
3) INS Sindhurakshak: 4 months on, Navy divers still look for bodies- Nearly four months after submarine INS Sindhurakshak sank following a huge explosion and fire here, Navy divers are still looking for bodies of missing sailors in the wreckage of the warship. “We have not stopped the search operation, our divers are still at the job. We are trying to find out if human remains can be found”, said Vice-Admiral Shekhar Sinha, chief of Western Naval Command.
4) Counting of votes in Rajasthan on Dec 8: Counting of votes in 199 Assembly constituencies of Rajasthan, where polling took place on December 1, will take place amid tight security arrangements on December 8.
5) Asaram’s son arrested in sexual assault case: elf-styled godman Asaram’s son Narayan Sai, who had been evading arrest in a sexual assault case in Surat, has been nabbed by Crime Branch of Delhi Police.
6) Naval vessel INS Konkan catches fire: A fire broke out in the naval vessel INS Konkan on Wednesday evening when the vessel was being retrofiitted in the naval dockyard here, according to sources.
7) Karnataka Assembly passes ESMA Bill: Striking work will be a non-bailable offence and police can arrest a striking employee without warrant under the Karnataka Essential Services Maintenance Bill, 2013 passed by the Legislative assembly on Wednesday. Bill is popularly known as ESMA.
8) SpaceX launches new communication satellite for Asia: A new communication satellite which will provide television and cable TV services to countries such as India and China has been successfully launched aboard the first commercial rocket by private US company SpaceX, after two delays.
9) Laxmipathy Balaji to captain Tamil Nadu Ranji team: Laxmipathy Balaji will captain the Tamil Nadu team in their fifth Ranji Trophy Group B preliminary league match against Baroda to be played at M A Chidambaram Stadium from December 6 to 9.
10) HC dismissed plea challenging Bharat Ratna to Tendulkar, Rao: Madras High Court yesterday dismissed a petition challenging Centre’s decision to confer Bharat Ratna on cricketer Sachin Tendulkar and scientist C N R Rao.
11) Wipro logs out of PC business: Wipro has discontinued the making of its branded desktops, laptops and server computers. In a statement to the exchanges, the company said that after evaluating the changing market scenario, it has decided to focus on strengthening its system integrator or software services business. However, Wipro will provide hardware devices as a part of its business offerings, the company pointed out.