Important Current Affairs Updates: 09 November 2013
1) Miss Venezuela Gabriela Isler wins Miss Universe 2013: An evening of extravagant entertainment marked the crowning of Gabriela Isler from Venezuela as Miss Universe 2013 at Crocus City Hall in Moscow, Russia. Patricia Yurena Rodriguez from Spain finished as the first runner-up, while Constanza Baez from Ecuador was the second runner up. Manasi Moghe from India made it to the top 10 of Miss Universe 2013.
2) Ashwin ranked No. 1 Test all-rounder: Ravichandran Ashwin's second Test hundred in Kolkata helped him rise to the No. 1 position in the ICC rankings for Test all-rounders. Ashwin now has 81 ratings points and leads second-placed Shakib from Bangladesh by 43 points. In Test Cricket batting chart continues to be headed by AB de Villiers of South Africa while his teammate Dale Steyn is the number-one ranked bowler.
3) Portal on Maulana Azad to be launched on Monday: On the occasion of the 125th birth anniversary of independent India’s first Education Minister Maulana Abul Kalam Azad on November 11, a national portal will be launched. The portal, a collaborative effort by the Union Ministry of Minority Affairs, the Office of Advisor to the Prime Minister, the National Commission for Minorities and the Ministry of Culture, will be a one-stop point to collate all knowledge and resources available on Maulana Azad, a Minority Affairs Ministry release said.
4) Polling begins in Maldives to elect new president: Polling for the long-delayed presidential elections in Maldives began as the archipelago nation made third attempt to elect a new President to avert a constitutional crisis.
5) At least 10,000 dead in Philippines from super typhoon: One of the most powerful storms ever recorded has killed at least 10,000 people in the central Philippines province of Leyte, a senior police official said , with coastal towns and the regional capital devastated by huge waves.
6) Much-awaited World Chess Championship match begins at Chennai: First game between defending champion Viswanathan Anand and world no. 1 Magnus Carlsen ended in a short but entertaining 16-move draw in the World Chess Championship 2013.
7) Bayern Munich break 30-year-old league record: European champions Bayern Munich set a new record for the longest unbeaten run in Bundesliga history with a 3-0 victory at home to Augsburg on Saturday.
8) Indian women win silver in Asian hockey: Indian women's hockey team had to be content with a silver medal in third Asian Champions Trophy after losing to hosts Japan by a solitary goal in the summit clash of the event at Kakamigahara on Saturday.
9) Nigeria won U17 Football World Cup: Nigeria won the Under-17 World Cup for a record fourth time on Friday, overpowering holders Mexico 3-0 in the final in Abu Dhabi, helped by two defensive mistakes.