Daily Current Affairs Updates: 25 November 2013
1) International Day for Elimination of Violence against Women observed: International Day for Elimination of Violence against Women is observed on 25 November 2013 across the world to raise awareness about violence against women. The theme for the year 2013 is: 'Unite to End Violence against Women'
2) 70% turnout in Madhya Pradesh, over 81% in Mizoram polls: Madhya Pradesh reported a voter turnout of over of 70 per cent for the 230 Assembly seats that went to polls on Monday, Election Commission officials said on Monday. In 2008, the turnout was 69.58 per cent. Mizoram, where elections for the 40 seats were also held, saw a turnout of 81 per cent. “The election was brisk and absolutely peaceful,” officials said.
3) Aarushi-Hemraj case- Talwar couple convicted of murder: More than five years after the double murder and flip-flops in investigation, dentist couple Rajesh and Nupur Talwar were on Monday held guilty of killing their 14-year-old daughter Aarushi and domestic help Hemraj in their house in Noida. In a case that has had a number of twists and turns, Additional Sessions Judge Shyam Lal held both of them also guilty of destruction of evidence in the murder on the intervening night of May 15 and 16, 2008, days before the birthday of the class nine student.
4) Sexual assault case- Tarun Tejpal moves HC for anticipatory bail: Tehelka Editor Tarun Tejpal on Monday moved the Delhi High Court seeking anticipatory bail in a sexual assault case lodged against him in Goa. The alleged incident happened in a lift in a five-star hotel in Goa earlier this month. The Goa police had on November 22 lodged an FIR against Tejpal under sections 376 (rape), 376 (2)(k) (rape by a person of a woman in his custody taking advantage of his official position) and 354 (outraging modesty) of IPC in connection with the incident.
5) Coast Guard launched ‘Operation Oliver’ to save rare turtles: As part of its annual mission to ensure the safe mid-sea sojourn of breeding Olive Ridley sea turtles in Gahirmatha marine sanctuary area of Odisha, the Coast Guard has launched ‘Operation Oliver’.
6) Zaheer returns to Test squad, Gambhir ignored for SA tour: Veteran pacer Zaheer Khan made a comeback to India’s Test side after close to a year but opener Gautam Gambhir was ignored as the selectors on Monday announced the squads for the Test and ODI tour of South Africa starting December 5. The 35-year-old Zaheer, who had been battling fitness issues and was even dropped from the BCCI’s list of contracted players, was chosen in the 17-member Test squad after taking 13 wickets in three Ranji Trophy matches at an average of 19.84 this season.
7) CPI-linked inflation bonds likely by Dec: In an apparent bid to placate the inflation-ravaged aam aadmi, the Reserve Bank of India will next month roll out retail bonds whose returns are likely to be linked to the movement in consumer price index.
8) RBI gets over $25 b thru special dollar swap window: Reserve Bank of India on Monday said over $25 billion has been received from special concessional swap window for deposits by non-resident Indians and overseas foreign currency borrowings by banks.
9) Bangalore airport to be renamed Kempegowda International Airport from Dec 14: Bangalore International Airport Ltd (BIAL) is set to change its name from Bengaluru International Airport to Kempegowda International Airport, Bengaluru. The name change will take effect from December 14 and also on the same day the terminal T1A will be inaugurated by Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and Union Civil Aviation Minister Ajith Singh.
10) AirAsia announces 3 million promotional seats: As part of celebrations of its fifth anniversary in the country, Kula Lumpur-based budget airliner AirAsia has announced a campaign with three million promotional seats across various destinations. Passengers will be able to travel from May 5, 2014 to January 31, 2015 under the “free seats” campaign.
11) BlackBerry's COO, CFO quit in management rejig: The shakeup at Blackberry is continuing after the ouster of CEO Thorsten Heins earlier this month. Chief operating officer Kristian Tear and chief marketing officer Frank Boulben, both hired by Heins, will leave the struggling smartphone maker.
12) Jayalalithaa honoured new World Chess Champion Carlsen: Tamil Nadu chief minister J Jayalalithaa on Monday awarded the new world chess championship to Norwegian prodigy Magnus Carlsen, who dethroned India's Vishwanathan Anand, a five-time world champion in the world chess championship 2013, held in Chennai last week.
13) Pujara, Kohli retain positions in ICC Test rankings: Cheteshwar Pujara retained his sixth position to be the highest-placed Indian batsman, while Virat Kohli also maintained his 20th spot in the in the latest ICC Test rankings issued, on Monday.
14) Justice Ajay Manikrao Khanwilkar sworn in as Chief Justice of Madhya Pradesh High Court: Justice Ajay Manikrao Khanwilkar was sworn in as the 22nd Chief Justice of Madhya Pradesh by Governor Ram Naresh Yadav at Raj Bhavan, Bhopal on 24 November 2013.
15) "Selfie" named Oxford Dictionary's Word of the Year for 2013:The word Selfie was named as word of the year by Oxford Dictionaries on 19 November 2013.