Current Affairs Updates: 10 November 2013
1) PM writes to Sri Lankan President on not attending CHOGM summit: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today wrote to Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa regretting his inability to attend the CHOGM Summit from November 15. Prime Minister has decided against undertaking the visit in view of the opposition by parties in Tamil Nadu as well as a section in Congress.
2) 325 films to be screened at IFFI: Upcoming International Film Festival of India (IFFI) will have screening of 325 Indian and foreign language films during the ten-day event to begin on November 20, officials said today. Film personalities including legendary singer Asha Bhosle, actress Rekha, actor-filmmaker Kamal Hassan and veteran actor Manoj Kumar will be present for the inaugural ceremony, organisers said.
3) Award for ecologist Madhav Gadgil: V.C. Padmanabhan Memorial Award 2013 for Ecology and Environment Conservation was presented to eminent ecologist and environmental scientist Madhav Gadgil in Thrissur, Kerala.
4) Typhoon Haiyan: China issues alert: China on Sunday issued an orange alert, the second-highest warning in its weather system, as Typhoon Haiyan hit the country’s coastal areas and six people were reported missing after the storm killed at least 10,000 people in the Philippines.
5) Maldives apex court postponed presidential run-off vote to Nov 16: Maldives Supreme Court ordered the suspension of today’s run-off for the controversy-ridden presidential re-vote, prolonging the political turmoil in the country amid mounting international concern.
6) Infosys to spend Rs 100 cr to upgrade e-governance portal: IT services company Infosys Ltd, which is managing the Corporate Affairs Ministry’s e-governance portal MCA21, is investing around Rs 100 crore to upgrade the system in view of an expected rise in workload.
7) Chhattisgarh first phase election tomorrow: Chief Minister Raman Singh and his three ministers are among the candidates whose fate will be decided on Monday when 18 assembly constituencies in the worst Naxal-hit regions of Bastar and Rajnandgaon go to polls amid heavy security in the first phase in Chhattisgarh.
8) Anand fails to breach Carlsen's defence in second game: Second game between Viswanathan Anand and world No.1 Magnus Carlsen at World Chess Championship too ended in a draw as the first.
9) Rookie Marquez becomes youngest MotoGP world champion: Spaniard Marc Marquez at 20 years of age became the youngest rider to ever win the MotoGP world championship as he finished third at the Valencia Grand Prix on Sunday.