Daily Current Affairs Updates: 08 November 2013
1) India defeated West Indies to win Kolkata Test by an innings and 51 runs: Heroics of India debutants Mohammad Shami and Rohit Sharma decimated the West Indies inside three days to lift India to an innings and 51-run win in Sachin Tendulkar's 199th and last Test at Eden Gardens, which also gave India a 1-0 lead in the two-match Test series.
2) India to host the men's Hockey World Cup in 2018: The International Hockey Federation, FIH has selected India to host the men's World Cup, which is planned for December 2018. England has been selected as hosts of the 2018 women's World Cup.
3) Agni-1 missile test fired from Wheeler Island off Odisha coast: India on Friday successfully test-fired its indigenously developed nuclear-capable Agni-I ballistic missile with a strike range of 700 km from a test range off Odisha coast as part of a user trial by the Army. The surface-to-surface, single-stage missile, powered by solid propellants, was test-fired from a mobile launcher at 09.33 hrs from launch pad-4 of the Integrated Test Range at Wheeler Island, about 100 km from Balasore.
4) Third largest public sector lender by branches Central Bank of India opened a representative office in Hong Kong.
5) Martha Dodray, a polio worker from bihar who is "performing heroic work in protecting children from this crippling disease" has been honoured with a prestigious UN Foundation award for her work in protecting children from the disease. Dodray, who hails from Darbhanga, said she was delighted and felt honoured to receive the award at such a global stage.
6) Jordan will replace Saudi Arabia on the Security Council for a two-year term starting in January after the Saudis' unprecedented rejection of the seat hours after they were elected, a UN diplomat has said. Earlier this week, Jordan dropped its bid for a seat on the UN Human Rights Council, leaving Saudi Arabia a clear path in the now uncontested election next Tuesday.
7) Super Typhoon “Haiyan” batters central Philippines. Typhoon Haiyan is battering the central Philippines with sustained winds of 314 kilometres an hour.
8) Delhi Election Commission on Friday directed all mobile service providers to stop “political” bulk SMS services 48 hours before the Assembly election to ensure that parties do not influence voters during this period.
9) Taking cue from other lenders, state-run Canara Bank on Friday hiked interest rates on fixed deposits by up to 0.50 per cent.