Daily Current Affairs Updates: 02 November 2013
1) Rohit Sharma becomes third player to hit ODI double-century: India's Rohit Sharma smashed a magnificent innings of 209 off 158 balls in their seventh one-day international with Australia, becoming only the third player to score a double-century in ODI cricket as India secured victory by 57 runs to win the series 3-2. The other two players to hit double century were also Indian’s Virender Sehwag (219) against West Indies in 2011 and Sachin Tendulkar (200) against South Africa in 2010.
2) Rohit Sharma breaks the record of highest number of sixes by a batsmen in an innings of ODI: Rohit Sharma who hit 16 sixes while out in the middle in Bangalore, breaked Shan Watson's previous record of 15 sixes in an ODI innings.
3) India won the 7 match ODI Series against Australia 3-2: Rohit Sharma's brilliant performance in the final helped India seal the 07 match ODI series against Australia with a margin of 3-2 as 4th & 5th ODIs were washed out in rain. Rohit Sharma was adjudged the Man of the Series and Man of the Match(final). From 06 matches played Rohit Sharma scored 491 runs with an average of above 100 hitting 02 centuries & a fifty.
4) 10-day-old Rajkot girl is youngest PAN card holder: Aahna was born on October 21, 2013, in a private hospital in Rajkot. Ten days later, she became India’s youngest holder of a Permanent Account Number (PAN) when she received a PAN card from National Securities Depository Ltd (NSDL). She has just beaten the earlier record by 12 days flat.
5) Pak Taliban chooses new chief after drone strike: Pakistan Taliban on Saturday selected Khan Said Sajna as their new leader after Hakimullah Mehsud was killed in a US drone strike, members of the insurgent group said.
6) Barack Obama greets people on Diwali: US President Barack Obama greeted Hindus, Sikhs, Jains and Buddhists across the globe on the occasion of Diwali, saying the flame of the diya reminds that light will ultimately triumph over darkness.
7) Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary reopens after monsoon: Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary, Assam, famous for dense population of one-horn rhinos, reopened to tourists after remaining closed during the monsoon.
8) 56-hour countdown for India's Mars mission to begin on 03 November 2013.
9) Unnao gold hunt: No gold found in the first trench- The Archeological Survey of India's (ASI) team, which had undertaken the digging work in Unnao's Daundiya Kheda area since October 18, made it clear that no gold was found on the site. The team closed the work on the first trench and moved to second on Saturday evening.
10) Ten passengers died as they jump out of train in Andhra Pradesh: Ten people were run over and an equal number injured by a speeding train near Vizianagaram town. According to East Coast railway spokesperson, some of the passengers of Bokaro Express (Alleppy to Dhanbad), proceeding to Bokaro Steel city, pulled the chain at the railway yard at Gotlam station near Vizianagaram town when they heard a rumour that a compartment of the train was on fire and jumped out on the tracks at around 6.50pm. As it was dark, they did not see Rayagada-Vijaywada passenger train coming from the opposite direction on the adjacent track and were run over.
11) Congress’ theme song for Delhi polls released: An audio-visual theme song for the assembly polls reflecting the achievements of the Congress government in Delhi in the last 15 years was released by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
12) Australian Mark Webber put Red Bull on pole position for the floodlit Abu Dhabi Formula One Grand Prix on Saturday in a front row sweep with quadruple world champion teammate Sebastian Vettel.