Daily Current Affairs updates from 16 October 2013
1) Man Booker prize 2013: Eleanor Catton, 28, from New Zealand won the 2013 Man Booker prize for English fiction on Tuesday for her novel "The Luminaries" and became the youngest winner in the award's 45-year history.
1) India achieved the second highest ever run chase in ODI history: An inspired India pulled off an incredible nine-wicket victory over Australia in the second one-dayer, achieving the second highest ever run chase in ODI history in what turned out to be a high scoring contest.
2) Virat Kohli hit the fastest century by an Indian in one-day internationals: Kohli, who hit 8 smashing boundaries and 7 scintillating sixes, hit the fastest century by an Indian in one-day internationals in just 52 balls in the second ODI agianst Australia, when he surpassed the Virender Sehwag's record who hit the ton from 60 balls against New Zealand in 2009.
3) Top shuttlers Saina Nehwal and Parupalli Kashyap along with two other Indians sailed into the second round of the Denmark Super Series Premier with contrasting wins in the opening round, but it was curtains for PV Sindhu on Wednesday.
4) Former India pacer Ajit Agarkar retired from all forms of cricket, bringing down the curtain on a 16-year first class career during which he played 26 Tests and 191 ODIs, besides leading Mumbai to their 40th Ranji Trophy title last season.
1) World Food Day: World Food Day celebrated on 16 October every year across the world since 1981.The Theme of the World Food Day 2013 is Sustainable Food Systems for Food Security and Nutrition.
1) Arunendra Kumar appointed Chairman, Railway Board: Railways today appointed acting Chairman of the Railway Board Arunendra Kumar as the head of the Board. Kumar, the Mechanical Member, was holding additional charge of Chairman, Railway Board (CRB) after the retirement of Vinay Mittal on June 30.
2) Anand Mahindra elected as Chairperson of PHFI: Public Health Foundation of India (PHFI) today said Mahindra group Chairman and Managing Director Anand Mahindra has been elected as its Chairperson for a term of three years.
1) Advani says he would like to see Modi as PM: Endorsing Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as BJP’s prime ministerial candidate for the first time, party patriarch L K Advani today said he would be happy to see him as the Prime Minister.
2) Manmohan going to Russia, China next week: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is to visit Russia from October 20-22. He will attend the 14th India-Russia Annual Summit in Moscow and then proceed to China for an official visit from October 22-24, the Ministry of External Affairs announced on Wednesday.
1) World Bank lowers India’s GDP growth forecast for 2013-14: World Bank has revised downwards India’s economic growth forecast for the current fiscal to 4.7 per cent. This is down from 6.1 per cent economic growth projected in April this year.
2) In a major boost for India and other countries seeking details on suspected black money stashed in Swiss banks, Switzerland has agreed to exchange of information and mutual administrative assistance in tax matters with overseas authorities.
1) A powerful typhoon Wipha on 16 October 2013 caused landslides and flooding on Izu Oshima Island, South of Tokyo.
2) Twitter likely to go public on November 15: The much anticipated initial public offer by microblogging site Twitter is likely to hit the US stock market on November 15, claims a research report.
3) Suicide attack kills Pakistani minister, 7 others: A senior Pakistani provincial minister was among eight people killed when a suicide bomber detonated his explosive laden vest at the politician's home in the restive Khyber Pakhtunkhwa on Wednesday.