Daily Current Affairs Updates: 30 October 2013
1) India’s Srishti Rana crowned Miss Asia Pacific World 2013: 21 -year old Srishti Rana has made the country proud by winning the coveted Miss Asia Pacific 2013 title outclassing 49 other contestants in Korea on Oct 30. Srishti looked gorgeous in a Falguni & Shane gown as she was being crowned by the reigning Miss Asia Pacific World 2012 Himangini Singh Yadu from India.
2) 45 burnt alive as bus catches fire in AP: Forty five passengers were charred to death as a private luxury bus burst into flames after its fuel tank caught fire in Mahbubnagar district of Andhra Pradesh.
3) Aamir Khan honoured in US for Satyameva Jayate: Bollywood actor and talk show host Aamir Khan was among a select group of film personalities honoured here for making a major impact on social issues through cinema. In glittering event held at the Andrew Mellon Auditorium in Washington the America Abroad Media (AAM) group feted Aamir Khan along with Oscar-winning director Kathryn Bigelow and 2013 Nobel Prize nominee the International Centre on Nonviolent Conflict.
4) Utpal Bhadra gets Radhakrishnan Gold Medal: Utpal Bhadra, senior scientist and group leader, Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB), has been selected for the Radhakrishnan Gold Medal for the year 2013 by the Global Economic Progress & Research Association (GEPRA).
5) Power generation at Kudankulam temporarily suspended: Power generation at the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant in Tamil Nadu has been temporarily suspended for the second time in about a week in order to undertake mandatory tests, official sources said.
6) Bangalore tops in radio listenership: Radio listenership is higher in Bangalore compared with other major cities such as Delhi and Mumbai.
7) ISRO plans Mars Orbiter launch rehearsal at Sriharikota on 31 October 2013: Ahead of the launch of its Rs 430 crore Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM), India’s premier space agency ISRO will on 31 Oct 13 carry out a launch rehearsal at the First Launch Pad of Satish Dhawan Space Centre here.PSLV C-25 carrying the Mars Orbiter spacecraft is slated for lift-off at 2.36 p.m. on November 5.
8) Kohli, Dhawan centuries help India to another stunning chase against Australia: India pulled off a sensational six-wicket victory over Australia in the do-or-die sixth cricket one-dayer, riding on Virat Kohli’s brutal unbeaten 115 and Shikhar Dhawan’s blistering century to level the seven-match series 2-2. Kohli - also hit the third fastest ODI hundred by an Indian from just 61 balls.
9) Tendulkar bids adieu to domestic cricket: Sachin Tendulkar’s farewell game in domestic cricket ended in a manner befitting his iconic stature, as the retiring legend single-handedly guided Mumbai to a four-wicket win over Haryana in one of the most keenly followed match in the history of Ranji Trophy.
10) Syndicate Bank to pay interest on monthly basis: Syndicate Bank has decided to exercise the option of paying interest on a monthly basis from next month, a change from the existing system of quarterly basis. Reserve Bank of India, in its monetary policy on Tuesday, had decided to give banks the option to paying interest on savings deposits and term deposits at intervals shorter than the existing quarterly intervals, since all banks are on core banking platforms.
11) Tata firm in talks with banks for ATM services: Tata Communications Payment Solutions Ltd (TCPSL) is in talks with at least six banks, including two large public sector lenders, for fee-based cash supplies to its Indicash-branded white label ATMs.
12) World’s first bitcoin ATM opens in Canada: The world’s first publicly accessible ATM machine which can exchange digital currency — bitcoins — for any official currency has been launched in Canada by a group of young entrepreneurs.
13) Govt hikes import tariff value of gold: Amid short supply of gold in domestic market during the festival season, the Government hiked the import tariff value of gold to $442 per ten gram in line with global prices of the precious metal.
14) Union Cabinet on Wednesday gave approval for declaring Bhubaneswar and Imphal airports as international.
15) Vladimir Putin topples Barack Obama in Forbes power ranking: Having outfoxed him on Syria, Russian President Vladimir Putin has now pipped Barack Obama to the title of the world`s most powerful ... Obama to the title of the world's most powerful leader as ranked by Forbes.
16) Alok Kumar, Ashok Shandilya enter semis World professional billiards championship: India's Alok Kumar and Ashok Shandilya have entered the semi-finals of the World Billiards Championship at Leeds, England.