01 October 2013- Daily Current Affairs Updates
1) International Day of Older Persons: Every year from 1991 onwards on 1 October is observed as the International Day of Older Persons. The day celebrated every year to recognise the contributions of older persons in the society and examines the issues that affect their lives. The theme of the 2013 International Day of Older Persons day is the future we want: what older persons are saying.
2) National Voluntary Blood Donation Day: on 1 October celebrated every year in India since on 1 October 1975.It is organised by National Blood Transfusion Council (NBTC) and National AIDS Control Organisation, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare of Government of India.
1) Ranjan Mathai is new Indian High Commissioner to UK: Former Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai has been appointed as country’s High Commissioner to the United Kingdom. A 1974-batch IFS officer, Mathai, who retired as Foreign Secretary on July 31 this year, will succeed Jaimini Bhagwati.
2) Ashok Reddy Nukala has been appointed as new Chairman of Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank (KVGB), a regional rural bank sponsored by Syndicate Bank.
3) Mahesh Kumar Jain has joined Indian Bank as Executive Director.
4) Atul Agarwal joined Indian Overseas Bank as its Executive Director.
5) S Varadarajan, director finance at Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) has taken over as chairman and managing director of the state-owned oil firm.
1) Ordinance on convicted lawmakers: Prime Minister to meet President tomorrow: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will meet President Pranab Mukherjee tomorrow ahead of the Cabinet meeting when the controversial Ordinance on convicted lawmakers is expected to be withdrawn.
2) Sanjay Dutt gets 14-day leave from Yerawada jail: Actor Sanjay Dutt today left the Yerawada jail here for Mumbai on a 14-day leave sanctioned to him on eligibility criteria, jail authorities said.
3) Gujarat assembly passes new lokayukta bill for the 2nd time.
4) Indian tax officials freeze Nokia assets: Indian authorities have frozen some of Finnish telecom giant Nokia's assets, the company said on Tuesday, amid a 20-billion rupee ($321 million) tax dispute with the government.
1) US Government shuts down: US Government today shutdown — for the first time in nearly 17 years — as the Republicans and the Democrats failed to strike a deal on spending and budget mainly due to their differences over ‘Obamacare’, the flagship healthcare programme of President Barack Obama. Only emergency and essential items would be able to operate, as a result of which lakhs of government employees would not receive their salary for the shutdown duration.
2) BMW recalls 1,76,000 vehicles over power brake: German car maker BMW is recalling 1,76,000 vehicles over a problem with the power brake system.
1) NASA’s Cassini spacecraft finds plastic ingredient on Saturn’s moon.
1) Gurunath Meiyappan ran CSK, says Michael Hussey: In his book, Underneath the Southern Cross, Chennai Super Kings opener Michael Hussey has said that team owner N. Srinivasan had handed control of the team to his son-in-law.
1) MDs to look after depts till new chief’s appointment: SBI:- State Bank of India (SBI) today said all four managing directors will continue to exercise their respective powers, pending the appointment of a chairman at the country’s largest lender. The post of chairman fell vacant following the retirement of Pratip Chaudhuri yesterday. On September 21, a government-appointed panel interviewed all four SBI managing directors for the post of chairman. It is understood that Arundhati Bhattacharya is the front runner.
2) Govt hikes base import price on gold; cuts on silver: Taking cues from global price movements, the Government today raised the import tariff value of gold to $436 per 10 grams, while reducing it on imported silver to $702 per kg.
3) Axis Bank launches version 2.0 of mobile banking app: Axis Bank has launched version 2.0 of its mobile banking application that segments mobile banking users into the youth, premium and prime segments.
4) Next monetary policy review on Oct 29: Reserve Bank of India will announce the Second Quarter Review of Monetary Policy 2013-14 on October 29, 2013.
5) Jet-Etihad deal was approved by SEBI (Securities Exchange Board of India) on 1 October 2013. Jet Airways had proposed to sale 24 percent stake to Abu Dhabi-based Etihad. The Jet-Etihad deal was announced in April 2013 and because of objections from regulators the deal was stuck half-way. The proposal will now be considered by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs.
1) Former Indian President Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed and ex-Prime Minister Gulzarilal Nanda were posthumously conferred with the ‘Bangladesh Liberation War Honour’ on Tuesday in recognition of their outstanding support to the country’s struggle for independence from Pakistan.
Join our facebook page for regular updates