Daily Current Affairs updates of September 17, 2013
1) Special cell begins probe in Muzaffarnagar riot cases.
2) Government is developing safety device for women, senior citizens which could be used to trigger alarm and send signals to pre-identified phone numbers in case of emergency.
3) Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi celebrated his 64th birthday. BJP's big announcement to appoint him as its prime ministerial candidate is indeed a perfect birthday gift to one of the most dedicated, dynamic and successful politicians of the country.
4) BSF jawan was injured as Pakistani troops violated the ceasefire again.
5) RTI applicants will no longer have to wait to get their applications processed as the Department of Posts is all set to bring out an RTI stamp for sale soon.
1) Deadly Mexico storms killed at least 42; floods strand thousands in some of the worst flooding in decades.
2) Pakistan is keen to have a comprehensive dialogue with India for the resolution of all issues including Kashmir said Pak Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.
3) 13 killed in Washington Navy Yard shooting: At least 13 people, including Indian-American and the gunman, were killed and the police were looking for another suspect, in an audacious mass shooting at the high-security Washington Navy Yard located at a short distance from the White House.
1) World's highest civilian airport started operating in China: World's highest civilian airport, located 4,411 meters above sea level, started operating on Monday in China's Sichuan province, shortening travel time between "the last Shangri-La" and the provincial capital.
2) Three Indian-Americans feature among America's 400 richest: Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates retaining the top spot on the Forbes list for the twentieth straight year, at USD 72 billion. Up USD 6 billion from 2012, Gates is once again the world's richest person, having passed Mexico's Carlos Slim in May.
3) National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) was awarded Indira Gandhi Official Language Award for propagation of Rajbhasha ( Official Language) in the company by the Union Government of India on Hindi Divas on 14 September 2013.
4) Bollywood actor John Abraham was today conferred the 'Pride of the Nation' award for his attempt to raise the sensitive issue of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi's assassination through his role as a RAW agent in "Madras Cafe".
5) Malala Yousafzai and American singer, human rights and social justice activist Harry Belafonte were on Tuesday named as joint recipients of Amnesty International's Ambassador of Conscience Award for 2013.
1) Government has increased import duty on jewellery from 10 percent to 15 percent with a view to check inward shipment of gold besides protecting domestic manufacturers.
2) Reserve Bank of India on Tuesday fixed the reference rate of rupee against US dollar at 63.3770 and the euro at 84.5980 as against 62.4840 and 83.4960 on Monday.
3) Onion prices again touch Rs 70/kg on supply crunch.
4) Air India has tied up with SBI Cards to launch a co-branded travel credit card that seeks to add value to the travel experience of Indian customers.
1) Samsung launches Galaxy Note 3 at Rs 49,900 in India: Just two weeks after the global announcement of Galaxy Gear and Galaxy Note 3, Samsung launched the two devices in India. While the Galaxy Note 3 has been priced at Rs 49,900 , the Galaxy Gear, which is a smartwatch, will be sold at a price of Rs 22,990.
2) Iran restores blocks on Facebook, Twitter.
1) Cable television services firm DEN Networks Ltd announced the appointment of Yugal Kishore Sharma as president, broadband to spearhead the company's foray into broadband Internet services.
2) Quick Heal Technologies appointed Rajesh Ghonasgi as Chief Financial Officer.
1) Ravindra Jadeja continued to jointly top the bowlers' list in the latest ICC ODI rankings.
2) Windies A beat India A to level series 1-1.
3) Pakistan were eliminated from the field hockey event at next year's Commonwealth Games after failing to enter the event by the deadline due to an internal sporting dispute.
4) Serbia will face defending champions the Czech Republic in the Davis Cup final.5) Amit Kumar won silver at world wrestling championship for India.