1) Shahrukh Khan may soon become the
“goodwill ambassador” of the Republic of Korea.
Petrol price reduced by by Rs 3.05/litre, whereas that of diesel hiked
by 50 paise.
3) Lalu Prasad convicted in fodder scam,
faces disqualification as MP.
4) Landmark Indonesia-EU timber trade pact
comes into force.
5) Manmohan Singh concludes US visit,
leaves for India.
6) Russia successfully launched Proton-M
7) Yuvraj makes a comeback in Indian squad
for Australia series
8) Pratip Chaudhuri stepped down as
Chairman of State Bank of India.
1) World Heart Day observed across the
2) Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh met
Pakistani PM Nawaz Sharif in New York.
3) China launches first free trade zone in
4) Twin blasts tear through Pakistan market
5) N. Srinivasan elected unopposed as BCCI
President for 3rd term.
6) Chennai Super Kings became the first
team to qualify for the semifinals of the Champions League Twenty20.
7) Average GDP growth in 12th Plan likely
to be cut to 6% by Planning Commission- Reports.
8) Ranjib Biswal named as new IPL chairman.
1) Miss Philippines Megan Young crowned
Miss World 2013.
2) At Least 31 people killed in a Building
Collapse in the dockyard area in the south of Mumbai.
3) United Nations Security Council voted
unanimously on a resolution to destroy Syria's chemicals weapons stockpile.
4) Uttar Pradesh Cricket Association chief
Rajeev Shukla, Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) president Ravi Savant and Delhi
& District Cricket Association (DDCA) secretary Sneh Bansal will the three
new vice-presidents of the BCCI.
1) India beat China in the 8th Asia Cup
Women hockey tournament at Kuala Lumpur to win the Bronze.
2) Google completed 15 years of its
3) World Tourism Day observed today.
4) Anna Hazare presented with the inaugural
Allard Prize for International Integrity by University of British Columbia’s
Faculty of Law.
5) Chandigarh-born legal luminary Sri
Srinivasan became the first Indian American to be sworn in as judge of the US
Courts of Appeal for the District of Columbia Circuit.
6) Supreme court said that the voters have
right to reject all candidates contesting the election.
Reserve Bank of India Governor, Raghuram G. Rajan, has been awarded the
Fifth Deutsche Bank Prize for Financial Economics 2013.
8) Pond's Femina Miss India World 2013
Navneet Kaur Dhillon helped India bag the Multimedia Award at the Miss World
2013 pageant in Indonesia.
9) Supreme Court today restrained N.
Srinivasan from assuming the charge of BCCI President.
1) Six people including four policemen were
killed in a suicide strike on the police station in Hiranagar while four army
personnel including a Lieutenant Colonel died at Samba camp. All three
terrorists killed after gunbattle.
2) Country’s financial capital Mumbai has
been named the world’s second most honest city, according to a survey of 16
3) Raghuram Rajan panel report has
indicated Odisha, Bihar as least developed states whereas Goa and Kerala tops
4) CBI calls Naveen Jindal for questioning
in Coal Scam.
5) Four men from Congo, Palestine,
Switzerland and the US were awarded the 2013 Right Livelihood Award.
6) Scientists build world’s first
7) AirAsia gets NOC from
1) Board of Control for Cricket in India
(BCCI) banned former IPL chief Lalit Modi for life after its disciplinary committee
found him guilty of "various acts of indiscipline and misconduct".
2) Union Government announced constitution
of the Seventh Pay Commission to revise salary and pension for about 80 lakh
central government employees and pensioners.
3) Minister Manmohan Singh left for the US
for the UN General Assembly (UNGA) and meeting with President Barack Obama.
4) RBI banned zero per cent interest rate
scheme for purchase of consumer goods through credit cards.The central bank has
also said that no additional charges can be levied on payment through debit
5) NASA’s Curiosity rover has found more
evidence of water on ancient Mars.
1) Indian environmentalist Bunker Roy and
Pakistan’s teenage education activist Malala Yousufzai were declared winners of
this year’s of the prestigious ’Clinton Global Citizens Award.
2) Jaganmohan Reddy released on bail in
illegal assets case.
BJP MLA Sangeet Som booked under National Security Act.
4) Powerful earthquake shook Pakistan’s
south-western and southern regions.
5) Rising shuttler P V Sindhu was conferred
with the prestigious Arjuna Award by Sports Minister Jitendra Singh.
ICICI Bank has launched a new Facebook app that will enable its
customers to transact directly from the social networking site.
7) Hun Sen sworn in as Cambodian prime
minister for the fifth term.
8) Ordinance to protect convicted MPs and
MLAs from facing immediate disqualification was approved by the Union Cabinet.
1) Uttar Pradesh government revoked the
suspension of woman IAS officer Durga Sakhti Nagpal.
2) Jaganmohan Reddy gets bail after 16
months in jail in the disproportionate assets case.
3) Nation remembers Ramdhari Singh 'Dinkar'
on his 105th birth anniversary. He was an Indian Hindi poet, essayist and
4) Typhoon Usagi killed at least 25 people
after crashing ashore in southern China.
5) Chancellor Angela Merkel emerged the
clear winner in German Elections and set
for her third term.
6) Novak Djokovic tops the men’s tennis
rankings for a 100th week in his career, the ninth man to reach the milestone
on the latest list issued.
7) Sandeep Tulsi Yadav has created history
by winning India's first-ever medal in the 66kg Greco-Roman category at the Senior
World Wrestling Championships in Budapest, Hungary.
8) Deepika Kumari wins Silver at Archery
World Cup in Paris.
9) Media firm NDTV appointed former
Attorney-General of India Soli Sorabjee as its its ombudsman.
10) Moody’s lowers SBI’s debt rating.
11) PepsiCo named
company veteran Sanjeev Chadha as its CEO, Asia, Middle East and Africa (AMEA)
1) Indian cricketer Virat Kohli was
appointed as the brand ambassador of the Border Security Force (BSF).
2) Tamil National Alliance (TNA) wins 30 of
the 38 seats in the election held at Northern Province of Sri Lanka. Election
held after 25 years in this former war zone.
3) 59 people have been killed in an attack
by the al Shabaab group at a shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya.
4) At least 70 people died in suicide
bombing attack outside a church in Peshawar, Pakistan.
5) Disgraced top Communist Party leader Bo
Xilai sentenced to life imprisonment by a Chinese court for bribery,
embezzlement of power.
6) Sebastian Vettel won
Singapore Grand Prix to extend F1 lead.
1) Gyan Correa’s National award-winning
Gujarati film ‘The Good Road’, nominated to represent India in the Best Foreign
Film category at next year’s Oscars.
2) World Alzheimer's Day observed.
3) World’s largest solar project coming up
near Jaipur, Rajasthan.
4) Super typhoon Usagi hits Philippines,
5) Mumbai Police has charge sheeted Chennai
Super Kings’ former Team Principal Gurunath Meiyappan in the IPL betting
6) Mumbai Indians announced
#ThisTimeFor10dulkar as its official hashtag for the Champions League T20
Jawaid Akhtar, Chairman, Coffee Board of India, has been elected
chairperson of the International Coffee Council.
8) Internet giant Google has modified its
homepage making it user friendly across various devices such as mobiles and
1) RBI hiked the short-term policy rate or
repor rate by 0.25 per cent to 7.50% which may increase EMIs for home and auto
loans in the medium term.
2) UP BJP MLA Suresh Rana arrested for
alleged role in Muzaffarnagar riots.
3) Central Government hiked dearness
allowance by 10% to 90 percent from existing 80 percent, a move that would
benefit about 50 lakh Central Government employees and 30 lakh pensioners.
4) President Pranab Mukherjee gave away the
National Communal Harmony Awards.
5) India's triple jumper Renjith Maheshwary
not to be conferred Arjuna Award 2013 after detailed investigations revealed
that the athlete had indeed failed a dope test during the national
championships in 2008, said Sports Ministry.
6) Former secretary of the Indian Cricket
Board, Jaywant Yeshwant Lele passed away.
7) Kolkata giants
Mohammedan Sporting created history by winning the prestigious Durand Cup
1) Justice Prafulla Chandra Pant, Judge of
the High Court of Uttarakhand was appointed as the new Chief Justice of the
Meghalaya High Court.
2) Tata Sons and Singapore Airlines decided
to set up a new world-class joint venture airline based in India.
3) Hiroshi Yamauchi, Nintendo Video Game
Pioneer Passes Away at the age of 85.
4) Obabiyi Aishah Ajibola (21) of Nigeria
becomes World Muslimah 2013 during the third Annual Award of World Muslimah in
5) Goverment bans new appointments as a
part of series of austerity measures; asks all departments to cut down non plan
expenditure by 10 per cent.
6) Tata Group Ranked 4th Among Asia’s 10
7) New Managing Director
Designate India and South East Asia in Tata Steels is TV Narendran.
1) Tony Abbott sworn in as 28th Prime
Minister of Australia.
2) Malala Yousafzai received 2013
Ambassador of Conscience Award.
4) New Version of Banking Solution software
Finacle Launched by Infosys.
5) Indian wrestler Bajrang won the bronze
medal in the 60kg freestyle category in the World Championship.
6) Bhartiya Mahila Bank, the first
nationalized bank for women expected to be operational from November, intends
to recruit 115 officers initially.
7) P. Sudhakar took over as the Chairman
& Managing Director of the Electronics Corporation of India Limited (ECIL).
1) 13 killed in Washington Navy Yard
2) World's highest civilian airport,
located 4,411 meters above sea level, started operating in China's Sichuan
3) Pakistani education rights campaigner
Malala Yousafzai and American singer, human rights activist Harry Belafonte
named as joint recipients of Amnesty International's Ambassador of Conscience
Award for 2013.
4) Bollywood actor John Abraham conferred
the 'Pride of the Nation' award for his attempt to raise the sensitive issue of
former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi's assassination through his role as a RAW
agent in "Madras Cafe".
5) Amit Kumar Dahiya wins silver medal at
World Wrestling Championships in Budapest, Hungary.
6) Government raises import duty on gold
jewellery to 15%.
1) International Day for the Preservation of the
Ozone Layer observed. The theme for the year 2013 is “A healthy atmosphere, the
Future We Want”.
Davuluri became the first contestant of Indian heritage to win the Miss America
ends at one-month high of 62.83 against dollar.
Sindhu to lead Indian challenge at Japan Open Badminton Championship.
5) Microsoft Corp co-founder Bill Gates is still
America's richest man, taking the top spot in the Forbes 400 list for the 20th
straight year with a net worth of 72 billion dollars.
Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi visited riot-hit
Williams remained first in an unchanged top 10 of the women’s tennis rankings.
8) Typhoon Man-yi hit central Japan.
1) Engineer's day celebrated across the country.
This day is celebrated in the honor of "Sir Dr. Mokshagundam
Visvesvaraya" who was born on the same day in 1860.
Government has notified the landmark Food Security legislation.
successfully test-fired Agni-V missile with range of about 5,000 km for second
time from an island of Odisha.
to be nuclear free as last reactor switched off.
India 2012 finalist Purva Rana was crowned Vice-Queen at the Miss United
Continent 2013 held in Guayaquil, Ecuador.
ShikharDhawan to lead SunrisersHyderabad in upcoming ChampionsLeague Twenty20.
1) Hindi Diwas celebrated across India. Hindi
was adopted as a language for official transaction by the constituent assembly
on 14th September 1949.
2) MK Goel has been appointed as new Chairman
and Managing Director of Power Finance
Corporation Limited (PFC).
Maoists were killed in a fierce gun battle with police in Odisha's Malkangiri
second test flight of long range, nuclear capable ‘Agni-V’ missile will be
taken up on September 15 from Wheeler Island on Odisha's coast.
launches new, cheaper rocket named 'Epsilon'. They hope it will be a cheaper
and more efficient way of sending satellites into space.
Ministers of Southeast Asian countries committed themselves to eliminating
measles from the region by 2020.
7) United States and Russia have agreed on a
proposal to eliminate Syria's chemical weapons arsenal.
Securities and Exchnage Board of India (SEBI) allowed overseas entities to
invest in government securities without any auction mechanism.
Minister's key economic advisor C Rangarajan lowered the growth forecast for
the current fiscal to 5.3 percent from 6.4 percent projected earlier.
have recorded a landmark Test victory by beating Pakistan by 24 runs in Harare
to draw the series 1-1. It was Zimbabwe's first Test win over a side other than
Bangladesh since their victory over India in 2001 - and only their 11th success
since their admission to Test cricket in 1992.
Pakistan`s domestic T20 champions, Faisalabad Wolves have been issued visas to
tour India to participate Champions League T20.
1) Death penalty was awarded to the four
convicts in the December 16 Delhi gang rape and murder case by a fast track
named Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as its prime ministerial candidate
for the 2014 Lok Sabha election.
of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) imposed life ban on pacer S. Sreesanth
and Mumbai left-arm spinner Ankeet Chavan for having brought disrepute to the game
by indulging in spot-fixing in the last edition of the Indian Premier
League. Meanwhile Amit Singh banned for
five years, while Siddharth Trivedi gets one year ban.
prices were hiked by Rs 1.63 per litre
Information Commission has directed Department of Post to disclose details of
100 biggest unclaimed accounts out of the 2.49 crores ‘silent’ accounts which
add up to a total unclaimed amount of Rs. 752.44 crores.
Dolby, the American Engineer and the pioneer of noise reduction in audio
recordings died. He was the founder of Dolby Laboratories. The 80 year aged Ray
Dolby in his end days suffered from Alzheimer disease.
announced in a tweet, that it has submitted papers for the most hotly
anticipated stock offering in the tech sector since Facebook's last year.
1) Liberian President and Nobel laureate
Ellen Johnson Sirleaf was conferred the prestigious Indira Gandhi Prize for
Peace, Disarmament and Development 2012 by President Pranab Mukherjee in New
2) Food security bill gets presidential
3) Global e-commerce firm eBay Inc.
formally inaugurated its second global development centre in India at
launched a new application for the Windows Phone and Windows 8 devices
to facilitate the users with a new channel of booking e-tickets in addition to
the existing portal.
5) Sikkim will have air connectivity by
December, 2014 when the construction of a green-field airport at an altitude of
4,700 feet will be completed.
6) British government is pressing ahead
with its controversial plans to privatise Royal Mail (Postal Dept in Britain),
a decision described by the Financial Times as the “most ambitious
privatisation since John Major sold the railways in the 1990’s.”
7) Nokia India has shut down the web
version of its digital music store.
8) India Denies Visa to Pakistani team
Faisalabad Wolves for the Champions League T20.
9) India's first individual Olympic Silver
Medallist Shooter, Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore
entered politics & has joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
10) United Nations Conference on Trade and
Development (UNCTAD) said the Indian economy is expected grow at 5.2 per cent
in calendar year 2013 as against 3.8 per cent in 2012.
11) UN Human Rights forum begins in
12) ICICI Bank launches chip-based credit
card. ICICI Bank Ltd, India’s largest private sector bank, has launched ICICI
Bank Carbon in partnership with Visa.
13) Ashok Vemuri was appointed as New
President and CEO of iGATE Corporation.
Canadian Handset maker launched BlackBerry 9720 Smartphone at Rs.15, 990. 11 September:
1) India lost to Afghanistan 0-2 in the final of
the 2013 SAFF Championship at the Dasrath stadium in Kathmandu.
shortlist for the Man Booker Prize 2013 is out and the Indian-born U.S.-based
author Jhumpa Lahiri’s book "The Lowland" finds a place on it. She is
one of six writers whose books have made it to the shortlist.
3) Prayers resume at Kedarnath
Temple after 86 days of calamity hit Uttarakhand in June this year.
4) Indian Railways has
launched an enhanced, user-friendly website — www.trainenquiry.com — for
5) 12th anniversary of 9/11
World Trade Centre attack in USA.
6) Italy and the Netherlands
became the first European nations to clinch qualification for the 2014 Football
World Cup to be held in Brazil.
7) Delhi court reserved the
order on sentencing the four convicted in the December 16 gang-rape case to
8) Jaypee Cement Corporation Gujarat Unit was
acquired by Aditya Birla Group Company, Ultra tech cement for Rs.3800 crores.
9) The Vice President of
India M. Hamid Ansari presented the First Sree Narayan Guru Global Secular
& Peace Award 2013 to Dr. Shashi Tharoor, Minister of State for Human Resources
Development, Government of India.
10) RBI made a fervent plea to the general public,
asking them not to use bank notes for making garlands, decorating pandals and
places of worship.
11) Vocalist Bombay Jayashri
has been picked for Indira Sivasailam Endowment Medal
12) Agni-V missile to be
tested on 15 Sep 2013, Sunday.
1) Rafael Nadal claimed his
second US Open title and 13th Grand Slam crown overall defeating world number one
Novak Djokovic, 6-2, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 in US Open men's singles final 2013.
2) All India Radio to
provide latest news through SMS. People willing to subscribe to the service can
simply SMS 'AIRNEWS <space> their name to 08082080820. They can also give
a missed call to the number to subscribe to the service. Along with news headlines,
a small message regarding public utility schemes of the government will be
3) Sensex recorded biggest
gain in four years, up 727 points.
4) India is among the five
nations, who have placed their bids before the International Hockey Federation
(FIH) to host the 2018 Hockey World Cup.
5) K N Shanth Kumar and
Mahendra Mohan Gupta, two eminent media personalities, were elected Chairman
and Vice Chairman respectively of the Press Trust of India (PTI).
6) India's launch
preparations for the Rs 450 crore Mars orbiter mission passed the successful thermo-vacuum
test of the spacecraft with its payloads. It is expected to be launched in
7) WHO lauded India's
efforts in eradicating polio and said the country has not reported a single
case of polio in the last 30 months.
8) Thomas Bach of Germany
was elected president of the International Olympic Committee, keeping the
powerful sports body in European hands. Bach, a 59-year-old German lawyer,
succeeds Jacques Rogge, the Belgian who is stepping down after 12 years.
9) Fast track court found
all four guilty of Delhi gang rape and murder. 9 September:
1) World No.1 Serena Williams won her fifth U.S.
Open championship and 17th Grand Slam title overall by beating world No. 2
Victoria Azarenka of Belarus 7-5, 6-7 (6), 6-1 in women's singles final of US
2) Ganesh Chaturthi
celebrated across India.
3) World number one Novak
Djokovic to taken on Rafael Nadal in the men's singles final of the US Open
4) Tripura achieved the
first position in literacy rate with 94.65 per cent, beating Kerala (93.91 per
cent), Tripura chief minister Manik Sarkar announced.
5) Muzaffarnagar (UP)
communal riots death toll rose to 31.
6) Retirement fund body EPFO
is likely to announce an interest rate of 8.5 percent on provident fund
deposits for 2013-14 to its over five crore subscribers, the same as provided
for last fiscal.
7) Ryan Campbell of
Australia at the age of 19 became the youngest person to fly a single engine
aircraft around the globe.
8) Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh released a commemorative stamp in memory of freedom fighter and veteran
journalist Lala Jagat Narain.
1) International Literacy Day celebrated. September 8 was proclaimed
International Literacy Day by UNESCO on November 17, 1965. It was first
celebrated in 1966. The day was celebrated to highlight the importance of
literacy to individuals, communities and societies.
2) Tokyo will host the 2020 summer Olympics after beating Istanbul in a
head-to-head voting by the International Olympic Committee. This will be the
second time the city will be hosting the Olympics. Next Olympics 2016 is going
to be held at Rio de Janeiro in Brazil.
3) 63rd edition of the Miss World pageant opened in Indonesia. Protests by
conservative Islamic groups confined the event to Indonesia’s resort island of
4) Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari steps down as Pak President after
successfully completing his five-year term, paving the way for Mamnoon Hussain
to take over.
5) Wrestling included in the 2020 Summer Olympic Games after it defeated
baseball/softball and squash for a spot in the competition.
6) Hectic preparations are on to launch Indian Space Research
Organization’s ambitious Mars Orbiter Mission in November, said Prof U R Rao,
Chairman of Governing Council of Physical Research Laboratory.
7) US Open: India's Leander Paes and his Czech partner Radek Stepanek
defeated second seeds Alexander Peya of Austria and Bruno Soares of Brazil in
the men's doubles final to win the US Open tennis championships. Leander Paes also becomes the oldest man to win a Grand Slam title. This is his 14th title.
1)Monsoon Session of Parliament ended after a
month-long sittings that saw passing of the landmark Food Security and Land
Acquisition Bills. Monsoon session of parliament which began on August 5, and
was initially slated to end by August 30, but was extended by a week as the
government was keen to get its key social legislation passed, with only about
eight months left for the general elections.
Abbott will be sworn in as the 28th prime minister of Australia after clinching
an historic victory and ending six years of Labor rule.
in St Petersburg, Russia has ended without world leaders agreeing on the need
for military action against Syria.
passed the Bill to ban manual scavenging
a Supreme Court order Parliament passed a Bill that maintains the right of
those in jail to contest polls
6)Polling begins in Maldives to elect new
7) NASA has
launched an unmanned spacecraft Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer
or LADEE that aims at unlocking the mysteries of Moon’s atmosphere
Azarenka to face Serena Williams in finals of US Open 2013. Victoria Azarenka
defeated Flavia Pennetta 6-4, 6-2 in
semis whereas world number one Serena Williams defaeted Li Na 6-0, 6-3.
9)Parliament has passed the Rajiv Gandhi
National Aviation University Bill 2013 with the Rajya Sabha approving it by a
voice vote. The bill is aimed at setting up the first-ever national aviation
university in the country.
Investment Promotion Board has cleared gold-loan company Muthoot Finance’s
proposal to set up white-label ATMs in the country. In White-lable ATMs operators,
will have tie-ups with multiple banks and, apart from regular features, will
also offer value-added services such as remittances, air, train and bus
ticketing, and third party advertisements.
Rajya Sabha today passed the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority
(PFRDA) Bill. It aims to create a regulator for the sector and allows at least 26
percent FDI. It was earlier passed by Lok Sabha on 05 September 2013.
acclaimed orchestra conductor Zubin Mehta was conferred the prestigious Tagore
Award for Cultural Harmony by President Pranab Mukherjee in New Delhi. He is
the second recipient after Sitar maestro late Pandit Ravi Shankar.
3) World Number Three Andy Murray crashed out of
US Open 2013.
International Olympic Committee has asked the Indian Olympic Association to
sack "charge-framed" officials through constitutional amendments by
October 31 and conduct fresh elections by December 15 to return to the Olympic
National pentathlon championship started in Goa.
Khanna is the new CEO of Reliance communications
Angelina Jolie is to receive an Honorary Oscar in recognition of her
humanitarian work, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said. She
previously won an Oscar for her role in the 1999 movie Girl, Interrupted. The
award will be presented at a ceremony on November 16.
Sania Mirza-Jie Zheng(China) women's doubles team lost to Ashleigh Barty -Casey
Dellacqua in semi finals of US Open 2013.
1) Teacher’s Day Celebrated across India on
the eve of birth anniversary of Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan. President of
India, Pranab Mukherjee also presented the National Awards to meritorious
teachers from all over India.
2) Deepak Sandhu appointed as Chief
Information Commissioner. She became the first woman Chief Information
Commissioner of the Central Information Commission. President Pranab Mukherjee
adminstered oath of office to her.
3) Indian author Sushmita Banerjee shot
dead outside her house in Afghanistan.
3) Yahoo has adopted a new logo for the
first time since its founding 18 years ago.
4) The monsoon session of Parliament has
been extended by a day till September 7.
Two-day summit of the Group of Twenty (G-20) has begun at St. Peters
burg in Russia. The summit will focus on issues pertaining to the economic
growth throughout the developed world.
6) Union Health Ministry announced former
Indian cricket team captain Rahul Dravid as brand ambassador for its National
Tobacco Control Campaign.
7) Air India hikes fares by up to 25 per
cent on all domestic routes.
8) ICICI Bank, the country’s largest
private sector bank, launched its ‘Branch on Wheels’ to offer basic banking
services in remote areas which have so far been devoid of banking facilities.
9) Nadal won his 20th straight hardcourt
match to storm into the semifinals of the U.S. Open.
10) India’s Sania Mirza and her Chinese
partner Jie Zheng stormed into the semifinals of the women’s doubles at US Open.
11) Leander Paes–Radek Stepanek stun Bryan
brothers to enter finals of US Open men's doubles.
1) Raghuram Rajan took over as the 23rd
governor of RBI from Duvvuri Subbarao. Faced with a tough economy and unstable
rupee against the dollar he stressed the need for monetary stability saying it was
a top priority.
2) The Pension fund Regulatory and
Development Authority (PFRDA) Bill, 2013 has been passed in the Lok Sabha. The
Bill will open the doors for foreign investment in pension funds.
3) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh arrives in
St Petersburg for 8th G20 summit.
4) Direct Benefit Transfer program for LPG
will be extended to another 289 districts by the 1st of January, 2014.
5) Google announced that next version of
Android operating system will be called Kitkat and not Key Pie Lime as reported
1) Software giant Microsoft to acquire
Finnish handset maker Nokia's handset business for 5.44 billion euros (USD 7.17
billion) in cash, in an effort to strengthen its position in the smartphone market.
2) President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated
the 11th Asian Pacific Postal Union (APPU) Congress at Vigyan Bhavan, New
3) Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani school
girl shot in the head in a failed assassination attempt by the Taliban
inaugurated Europe’s biggest public library in Birmingham.
4) Gary Kirsten to join IPL franchisee
Delhi Daredevils as head coach.
5) Department of Electronics and
Information Technology is going to release a policy restricting usage of Gmail
and Yahoo in official communications.
The policy is being drafted so as to ensure the safety of government
data. This may come into implementation
in two months.
5) Pakistani Army Chief General Ashfaq
Parvez Kayani visited LoC
6) Human Resource Development (HRD)
ministry launched the third All India Survey on Higher Education
7) Roger Federer crashed out of the US Open
to Tommy Robredo.
1) Food Security Bill passed by Rajya
2) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh launched
Mahatma Gandhi heritage portal dedicated to writings, works and manuscripts of
3) S Bal Shekar, the secretary in the Lok
Sabha secretariat, has been asked to perform the duties of the Lok Sabha
secretary general after TK Vishwanathan relinquished his office on August 31.
4) Asram Bapu, the controversial Godman
arrested in sexual assault case was sent to 14 day judicial remand.
5) Defense Minister AK Antony inducted C-17
heavy lift transport aircraft in to Indian Air Force formally.
6) Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde
informed the cabinet that a resolution on Telangana will take place within 20
7) TK Srivatsava is the new executive
director of Syndicate Bank. He was
presently the general manager in Union Bank of India.
1) South Korea beat India 4-3 to win 9th
Asia Cup hockey Tournament. This year tournament was held in Ipoh,
2) Central govt to hike DA by 10 percent;
80 lakh employees, pensioners to get benefit.
3) Sachin Tendulkar to play 200th Test
against West Indies at home. Decision to invite West Indies for two Tests and
five ODIs was taken at the working committee meeting. Mumbai and Kolkata are
the likely venues for the much-anticipated matches. Champion batsman has so far
played 198 Tests, scoring 15,837 runs at an average of 53.86.
4) Ailing anti-apartheid icon Nelson
Mandela was discharged from hospital though his condition remains critical,
India has retained their top position in the latest ICC ODI team
6) India takes on South Korea in Asia Cup
Hockey final. If India beat Korea in the final, they will gain a direct entry
in 2014 World Cup in The Hague.