Daily Current Affairs September 2013
1) Shahrukh Khan may soon become the “goodwill ambassador” of the Republic of Korea.
2) Petrol price reduced by by Rs 3.05/litre, whereas that of diesel hiked by 50 paise.
3) Lalu Prasad convicted in fodder scam, faces disqualification as MP.
4) Landmark Indonesia-EU timber trade pact comes into force.
5) Manmohan Singh concludes US visit, leaves for India.
6) Russia successfully launched Proton-M rocket.
7) Yuvraj makes a comeback in Indian squad for Australia series
8) Pratip Chaudhuri stepped down as Chairman of State Bank of India.
1) World Heart Day observed across the world.
2) Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh met Pakistani PM Nawaz Sharif in New York.
3) China launches first free trade zone in Shanghai.
4) Twin blasts tear through Pakistan market killed 38.
5) N. Srinivasan elected unopposed as BCCI President for 3rd term.
6) Chennai Super Kings became the first team to qualify for the semifinals of the Champions League Twenty20.
7) Average GDP growth in 12th Plan likely to be cut to 6% by Planning Commission- Reports.
8) Ranjib Biswal named as new IPL chairman.
1) Miss Philippines Megan Young crowned Miss World 2013.
2) At Least 31 people killed in a Building Collapse in the dockyard area in the south of Mumbai.
3) United Nations Security Council voted unanimously on a resolution to destroy Syria's chemicals weapons stockpile.
4) Uttar Pradesh Cricket Association chief Rajeev Shukla, Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) president Ravi Savant and Delhi & District Cricket Association (DDCA) secretary Sneh Bansal will the three new vice-presidents of the BCCI.
1) India beat China in the 8th Asia Cup Women hockey tournament at Kuala Lumpur to win the Bronze.
2) Google completed 15 years of its existence.
3) World Tourism Day observed today.
4) Anna Hazare presented with the inaugural Allard Prize for International Integrity by University of British Columbia’s Faculty of Law.
5) Chandigarh-born legal luminary Sri Srinivasan became the first Indian American to be sworn in as judge of the US Courts of Appeal for the District of Columbia Circuit.
6) Supreme court said that the voters have right to reject all candidates contesting the election.
7) Reserve Bank of India Governor, Raghuram G. Rajan, has been awarded the Fifth Deutsche Bank Prize for Financial Economics 2013.
8) Pond's Femina Miss India World 2013 Navneet Kaur Dhillon helped India bag the Multimedia Award at the Miss World 2013 pageant in Indonesia.
9) Supreme Court today restrained N. Srinivasan from assuming the charge of BCCI President.
1) Six people including four policemen were killed in a suicide strike on the police station in Hiranagar while four army personnel including a Lieutenant Colonel died at Samba camp. All three terrorists killed after gunbattle.
2) Country’s financial capital Mumbai has been named the world’s second most honest city, according to a survey of 16 cities worldwide.
3) Raghuram Rajan panel report has indicated Odisha, Bihar as least developed states whereas Goa and Kerala tops the chart.
4) CBI calls Naveen Jindal for questioning in Coal Scam.
5) Four men from Congo, Palestine, Switzerland and the US were awarded the 2013 Right Livelihood Award.
6) Scientists build world’s first carbon-nanotube computer.
7) AirAsia gets NOC from Aviation Ministry.
1) Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) banned former IPL chief Lalit Modi for life after its disciplinary committee found him guilty of "various acts of indiscipline and misconduct".
2) Union Government announced constitution of the Seventh Pay Commission to revise salary and pension for about 80 lakh central government employees and pensioners.
3) Minister Manmohan Singh left for the US for the UN General Assembly (UNGA) and meeting with President Barack Obama.
4) RBI banned zero per cent interest rate scheme for purchase of consumer goods through credit cards.The central bank has also said that no additional charges can be levied on payment through debit cards.
5) NASA’s Curiosity rover has found more evidence of water on ancient Mars.
1) Indian environmentalist Bunker Roy and Pakistan’s teenage education activist Malala Yousufzai were declared winners of this year’s of the prestigious ’Clinton Global Citizens Award.
2) Jaganmohan Reddy released on bail in illegal assets case.
3) BJP MLA Sangeet Som booked under National Security Act.
4) Powerful earthquake shook Pakistan’s south-western and southern regions.
5) Rising shuttler P V Sindhu was conferred with the prestigious Arjuna Award by Sports Minister Jitendra Singh.
6) ICICI Bank has launched a new Facebook app that will enable its customers to transact directly from the social networking site.
7) Hun Sen sworn in as Cambodian prime minister for the fifth term.
8) Ordinance to protect convicted MPs and MLAs from facing immediate disqualification was approved by the Union Cabinet.
1) Uttar Pradesh government revoked the suspension of woman IAS officer Durga Sakhti Nagpal.
2) Jaganmohan Reddy gets bail after 16 months in jail in the disproportionate assets case.
3) Nation remembers Ramdhari Singh 'Dinkar' on his 105th birth anniversary. He was an Indian Hindi poet, essayist and academic.
4) Typhoon Usagi killed at least 25 people after crashing ashore in southern China.
5) Chancellor Angela Merkel emerged the clear winner in German Elections and set for her third term.
6) Novak Djokovic tops the men’s tennis rankings for a 100th week in his career, the ninth man to reach the milestone on the latest list issued.
7) Sandeep Tulsi Yadav has created history by winning India's first-ever medal in the 66kg Greco-Roman category at the Senior World Wrestling Championships in Budapest, Hungary.
8) Deepika Kumari wins Silver at Archery World Cup in Paris.
9) Media firm NDTV appointed former Attorney-General of India Soli Sorabjee as its its ombudsman.
10) Moody’s lowers SBI’s debt rating.
11) PepsiCo named company veteran Sanjeev Chadha as its CEO, Asia, Middle East and Africa (AMEA) region.
1) Indian cricketer Virat Kohli was appointed as the brand ambassador of the Border Security Force (BSF).
2) Tamil National Alliance (TNA) wins 30 of the 38 seats in the election held at Northern Province of Sri Lanka. Election held after 25 years in this former war zone.
3) 59 people have been killed in an attack by the al Shabaab group at a shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya.
4) At least 70 people died in suicide bombing attack outside a church in Peshawar, Pakistan.
5) Disgraced top Communist Party leader Bo Xilai sentenced to life imprisonment by a Chinese court for bribery, embezzlement of power.
6) Sebastian Vettel won Singapore Grand Prix to extend F1 lead.
1) Gyan Correa’s National award-winning Gujarati film ‘The Good Road’, nominated to represent India in the Best Foreign Film category at next year’s Oscars.
2) World Alzheimer's Day observed.
3) World’s largest solar project coming up near Jaipur, Rajasthan.
4) Super typhoon Usagi hits Philippines, Taiwan.
5) Mumbai Police has charge sheeted Chennai Super Kings’ former Team Principal Gurunath Meiyappan in the IPL betting scandal.
6) Mumbai Indians announced #ThisTimeFor10dulkar as its official hashtag for the Champions League T20 tournament.
7) Jawaid Akhtar, Chairman, Coffee Board of India, has been elected chairperson of the International Coffee Council.
8) Internet giant Google has modified its homepage making it user friendly across various devices such as mobiles and tablets.
1) RBI hiked the short-term policy rate or repor rate by 0.25 per cent to 7.50% which may increase EMIs for home and auto loans in the medium term.
2) UP BJP MLA Suresh Rana arrested for alleged role in Muzaffarnagar riots.
3) Central Government hiked dearness allowance by 10% to 90 percent from existing 80 percent, a move that would benefit about 50 lakh Central Government employees and 30 lakh pensioners.
4) President Pranab Mukherjee gave away the National Communal Harmony Awards.
5) India's triple jumper Renjith Maheshwary not to be conferred Arjuna Award 2013 after detailed investigations revealed that the athlete had indeed failed a dope test during the national championships in 2008, said Sports Ministry.
6) Former secretary of the Indian Cricket Board, Jaywant Yeshwant Lele passed away.7) Kolkata giants Mohammedan Sporting created history by winning the prestigious Durand Cup Football tournament.
1) Justice Prafulla Chandra Pant, Judge of the High Court of Uttarakhand was appointed as the new Chief Justice of the Meghalaya High Court.
2) Tata Sons and Singapore Airlines decided to set up a new world-class joint venture airline based in India.
3) Hiroshi Yamauchi, Nintendo Video Game Pioneer Passes Away at the age of 85.
4) Obabiyi Aishah Ajibola (21) of Nigeria becomes World Muslimah 2013 during the third Annual Award of World Muslimah in Jakarta, Indonesia.
5) Goverment bans new appointments as a part of series of austerity measures; asks all departments to cut down non plan expenditure by 10 per cent.
6) Tata Group Ranked 4th Among Asia’s 10 Best Companies.7) New Managing Director Designate India and South East Asia in Tata Steels is TV Narendran.
1) Tony Abbott sworn in as 28th Prime Minister of Australia.
2) Malala Yousafzai received 2013 Ambassador of Conscience Award.
3) Veteran CPI Leader Veliyam Bhargavan passed away.
4) New Version of Banking Solution software Finacle Launched by Infosys.
5) Indian wrestler Bajrang won the bronze medal in the 60kg freestyle category in the World Championship.
6) Bhartiya Mahila Bank, the first nationalized bank for women expected to be operational from November, intends to recruit 115 officers initially.
7) P. Sudhakar took over as the Chairman & Managing Director of the Electronics Corporation of India Limited (ECIL).
1) 13 killed in Washington Navy Yard shooting.
2) World's highest civilian airport, located 4,411 meters above sea level, started operating in China's Sichuan province.
3) Pakistani education rights campaigner Malala Yousafzai and American singer, human rights activist Harry Belafonte named as joint recipients of Amnesty International's Ambassador of Conscience Award for 2013.
4) Bollywood actor John Abraham conferred the 'Pride of the Nation' award for his attempt to raise the sensitive issue of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi's assassination through his role as a RAW agent in "Madras Cafe".
5) Amit Kumar Dahiya wins silver medal at World Wrestling Championships in Budapest, Hungary.6) Government raises import duty on gold jewellery to 15%.
1) International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer observed. The theme for the year 2013 is “A healthy atmosphere, the Future We Want”.
2) Nina Davuluri became the first contestant of Indian heritage to win the Miss America pageant.
3) Rupee ends at one-month high of 62.83 against dollar.
4) PV Sindhu to lead Indian challenge at Japan Open Badminton Championship.
5) Microsoft Corp co-founder Bill Gates is still America's richest man, taking the top spot in the Forbes 400 list for the 20th straight year with a net worth of 72 billion dollars.
6) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi visited riot-hit Muzaffarnagar.
7) Serena Williams remained first in an unchanged top 10 of the women’s tennis rankings.
8) Typhoon Man-yi hit central Japan.
1) Engineer's day celebrated across the country. This day is celebrated in the honor of "Sir Dr. Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya" who was born on the same day in 1860.
2) Government has notified the landmark Food Security legislation.
3) India successfully test-fired Agni-V missile with range of about 5,000 km for second time from an island of Odisha.
4) Japan to be nuclear free as last reactor switched off.
5) Miss India 2012 finalist Purva Rana was crowned Vice-Queen at the Miss United Continent 2013 held in Guayaquil, Ecuador.6) ShikharDhawan to lead SunrisersHyderabad in upcoming ChampionsLeague Twenty20.
1) Hindi Diwas celebrated across India. Hindi was adopted as a language for official transaction by the constituent assembly on 14th September 1949.
2) MK Goel has been appointed as new Chairman and Managing Director of Power Finance Corporation Limited (PFC).
3) 14 Maoists were killed in a fierce gun battle with police in Odisha's Malkangiri district.
4) A second test flight of long range, nuclear capable ‘Agni-V’ missile will be taken up on September 15 from Wheeler Island on Odisha's coast.
5) Japan launches new, cheaper rocket named 'Epsilon'. They hope it will be a cheaper and more efficient way of sending satellites into space.
6) Health Ministers of Southeast Asian countries committed themselves to eliminating measles from the region by 2020.
7) United States and Russia have agreed on a proposal to eliminate Syria's chemical weapons arsenal.
8) Securities and Exchnage Board of India (SEBI) allowed overseas entities to invest in government securities without any auction mechanism.
9) Prime Minister's key economic advisor C Rangarajan lowered the growth forecast for the current fiscal to 5.3 percent from 6.4 percent projected earlier.
10) Zimbabwe have recorded a landmark Test victory by beating Pakistan by 24 runs in Harare to draw the series 1-1. It was Zimbabwe's first Test win over a side other than Bangladesh since their victory over India in 2001 - and only their 11th success since their admission to Test cricket in 1992.11) Pakistan`s domestic T20 champions, Faisalabad Wolves have been issued visas to tour India to participate Champions League T20.
1) Death penalty was awarded to the four convicts in the December 16 Delhi gang rape and murder case by a fast track court.
2) BJP named Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as its prime ministerial candidate for the 2014 Lok Sabha election.
3) Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) imposed life ban on pacer S. Sreesanth and Mumbai left-arm spinner Ankeet Chavan for having brought disrepute to the game by indulging in spot-fixing in the last edition of the Indian Premier League. Meanwhile Amit Singh banned for five years, while Siddharth Trivedi gets one year ban.
4) Petrol prices were hiked by Rs 1.63 per litre
5) Central Information Commission has directed Department of Post to disclose details of 100 biggest unclaimed accounts out of the 2.49 crores ‘silent’ accounts which add up to a total unclaimed amount of Rs. 752.44 crores.
6) Ray Dolby, the American Engineer and the pioneer of noise reduction in audio recordings died. He was the founder of Dolby Laboratories. The 80 year aged Ray Dolby in his end days suffered from Alzheimer disease.7) Twitter announced in a tweet, that it has submitted papers for the most hotly anticipated stock offering in the tech sector since Facebook's last year.
1) Liberian President and Nobel laureate Ellen Johnson Sirleaf was conferred the prestigious Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development 2012 by President Pranab Mukherjee in New Delhi.
2) Food security bill gets presidential approval.
3) Global e-commerce firm eBay Inc. formally inaugurated its second global development centre in India at Bangalore.
4) IRCTC launched a new application for the Windows Phone and Windows 8 devices to facilitate the users with a new channel of booking e-tickets in addition to the existing portal.
5) Sikkim will have air connectivity by December, 2014 when the construction of a green-field airport at an altitude of 4,700 feet will be completed.
6) British government is pressing ahead with its controversial plans to privatise Royal Mail (Postal Dept in Britain), a decision described by the Financial Times as the “most ambitious privatisation since John Major sold the railways in the 1990’s.”
7) Nokia India has shut down the web version of its digital music store.
8) India Denies Visa to Pakistani team Faisalabad Wolves for the Champions League T20.
9) India's first individual Olympic Silver Medallist Shooter, Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore entered politics & has joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
10) United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) said the Indian economy is expected grow at 5.2 per cent in calendar year 2013 as against 3.8 per cent in 2012.
11) UN Human Rights forum begins in Beijing.
12) ICICI Bank launches chip-based credit card. ICICI Bank Ltd, India’s largest private sector bank, has launched ICICI Bank Carbon in partnership with Visa.
13) Ashok Vemuri was appointed as New President and CEO of iGATE Corporation.14) BlackBerry,the Canadian Handset maker launched BlackBerry 9720 Smartphone at Rs.15, 990.
1) India lost to Afghanistan 0-2 in the final of the 2013 SAFF Championship at the Dasrath stadium in Kathmandu.
2) Much-anticipated shortlist for the Man Booker Prize 2013 is out and the Indian-born U.S.-based author Jhumpa Lahiri’s book "The Lowland" finds a place on it. She is one of six writers whose books have made it to the shortlist.
3) Prayers resume at Kedarnath Temple after 86 days of calamity hit Uttarakhand in June this year.
4) Indian Railways has launched an enhanced, user-friendly website — www.trainenquiry.com — for enquiries.
5) 12th anniversary of 9/11 World Trade Centre attack in USA.
6) Italy and the Netherlands became the first European nations to clinch qualification for the 2014 Football World Cup to be held in Brazil.
7) Delhi court reserved the order on sentencing the four convicted in the December 16 gang-rape case to Friday.
8) Jaypee Cement Corporation Gujarat Unit was acquired by Aditya Birla Group Company, Ultra tech cement for Rs.3800 crores.
9) The Vice President of India M. Hamid Ansari presented the First Sree Narayan Guru Global Secular & Peace Award 2013 to Dr. Shashi Tharoor, Minister of State for Human Resources Development, Government of India.
10) RBI made a fervent plea to the general public, asking them not to use bank notes for making garlands, decorating pandals and places of worship.
11) Vocalist Bombay Jayashri has been picked for Indira Sivasailam Endowment Medal12) Agni-V missile to be tested on 15 Sep 2013, Sunday.
1) Rafael Nadal claimed his second US Open title and 13th Grand Slam crown overall defeating world number one Novak Djokovic, 6-2, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 in US Open men's singles final 2013.
2) All India Radio to provide latest news through SMS. People willing to subscribe to the service can simply SMS 'AIRNEWS <space> their name to 08082080820. They can also give a missed call to the number to subscribe to the service. Along with news headlines, a small message regarding public utility schemes of the government will be tagged.
3) Sensex recorded biggest gain in four years, up 727 points.
4) India is among the five nations, who have placed their bids before the International Hockey Federation (FIH) to host the 2018 Hockey World Cup.
5) K N Shanth Kumar and Mahendra Mohan Gupta, two eminent media personalities, were elected Chairman and Vice Chairman respectively of the Press Trust of India (PTI).
6) India's launch preparations for the Rs 450 crore Mars orbiter mission passed the successful thermo-vacuum test of the spacecraft with its payloads. It is expected to be launched in November 2013.7) WHO lauded India's efforts in eradicating polio and said the country has not reported a single case of polio in the last 30 months.
8) Thomas Bach of Germany was elected president of the International Olympic Committee, keeping the powerful sports body in European hands. Bach, a 59-year-old German lawyer, succeeds Jacques Rogge, the Belgian who is stepping down after 12 years.9) Fast track court found all four guilty of Delhi gang rape and murder.
1) World No.1 Serena Williams won her fifth U.S. Open championship and 17th Grand Slam title overall by beating world No. 2 Victoria Azarenka of Belarus 7-5, 6-7 (6), 6-1 in women's singles final of US Open 2013.
2) Ganesh Chaturthi celebrated across India.
3) World number one Novak Djokovic to taken on Rafael Nadal in the men's singles final of the US Open 2013.
4) Tripura achieved the first position in literacy rate with 94.65 per cent, beating Kerala (93.91 per cent), Tripura chief minister Manik Sarkar announced.
5) Muzaffarnagar (UP) communal riots death toll rose to 31.
6) Retirement fund body EPFO is likely to announce an interest rate of 8.5 percent on provident fund deposits for 2013-14 to its over five crore subscribers, the same as provided for last fiscal.
7) Ryan Campbell of Australia at the age of 19 became the youngest person to fly a single engine aircraft around the globe.8) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh released a commemorative stamp in memory of freedom fighter and veteran journalist Lala Jagat Narain.
1) International Literacy Day celebrated. September 8 was proclaimed International Literacy Day by UNESCO on November 17, 1965. It was first celebrated in 1966. The day was celebrated to highlight the importance of literacy to individuals, communities and societies.
2) Tokyo will host the 2020 summer Olympics after beating Istanbul in a head-to-head voting by the International Olympic Committee. This will be the second time the city will be hosting the Olympics. Next Olympics 2016 is going to be held at Rio de Janeiro in Brazil.
3) 63rd edition of the Miss World pageant opened in Indonesia. Protests by conservative Islamic groups confined the event to Indonesia’s resort island of Bali.
4) Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari steps down as Pak President after successfully completing his five-year term, paving the way for Mamnoon Hussain to take over.
5) Wrestling included in the 2020 Summer Olympic Games after it defeated baseball/softball and squash for a spot in the competition.
6) Hectic preparations are on to launch Indian Space Research Organization’s ambitious Mars Orbiter Mission in November, said Prof U R Rao, Chairman of Governing Council of Physical Research Laboratory.7) US Open: India's Leander Paes and his Czech partner Radek Stepanek defeated second seeds Alexander Peya of Austria and Bruno Soares of Brazil in the men's doubles final to win the US Open tennis championships. Leander Paes also becomes the oldest man to win a Grand Slam title. This is his 14th title.
1) Monsoon Session of Parliament ended after a month-long sittings that saw passing of the landmark Food Security and Land Acquisition Bills. Monsoon session of parliament which began on August 5, and was initially slated to end by August 30, but was extended by a week as the government was keen to get its key social legislation passed, with only about eight months left for the general elections.
2) Tony Abbott will be sworn in as the 28th prime minister of Australia after clinching an historic victory and ending six years of Labor rule.
3) G20 summit in St Petersburg, Russia has ended without world leaders agreeing on the need for military action against Syria.
4) Parliament passed the Bill to ban manual scavenging
5) Negating a Supreme Court order Parliament passed a Bill that maintains the right of those in jail to contest polls
6) Polling begins in Maldives to elect new President
7) NASA has launched an unmanned spacecraft Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer or LADEE that aims at unlocking the mysteries of Moon’s atmosphere
8) Victoria Azarenka to face Serena Williams in finals of US Open 2013. Victoria Azarenka defeated Flavia Pennetta 6-4, 6-2 in semis whereas world number one Serena Williams defaeted Li Na 6-0, 6-3.
9) Parliament has passed the Rajiv Gandhi National Aviation University Bill 2013 with the Rajya Sabha approving it by a voice vote. The bill is aimed at setting up the first-ever national aviation university in the country.
10) Foreign Investment Promotion Board has cleared gold-loan company Muthoot Finance’s proposal to set up white-label ATMs in the country. In White-lable ATMs operators, will have tie-ups with multiple banks and, apart from regular features, will also offer value-added services such as remittances, air, train and bus ticketing, and third party advertisements.
1) The Rajya Sabha today passed the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) Bill. It aims to create a regulator for the sector and allows at least 26 percent FDI. It was earlier passed by Lok Sabha on 05 September 2013.
2) World acclaimed orchestra conductor Zubin Mehta was conferred the prestigious Tagore Award for Cultural Harmony by President Pranab Mukherjee in New Delhi. He is the second recipient after Sitar maestro late Pandit Ravi Shankar.
3) World Number Three Andy Murray crashed out of US Open 2013.
4) The International Olympic Committee has asked the Indian Olympic Association to sack "charge-framed" officials through constitutional amendments by October 31 and conduct fresh elections by December 15 to return to the Olympic fold.
5) National pentathlon championship started in Goa.
6) Deepak Khanna is the new CEO of Reliance communications
7) Angelina Jolie is to receive an Honorary Oscar in recognition of her humanitarian work, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said. She previously won an Oscar for her role in the 1999 movie Girl, Interrupted. The award will be presented at a ceremony on November 16.
8) India's Sania Mirza-Jie Zheng(China) women's doubles team lost to Ashleigh Barty -Casey Dellacqua in semi finals of US Open 2013.
1) Teacher’s Day Celebrated across India on the eve of birth anniversary of Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan. President of India, Pranab Mukherjee also presented the National Awards to meritorious teachers from all over India.
2) Deepak Sandhu appointed as Chief Information Commissioner. She became the first woman Chief Information Commissioner of the Central Information Commission. President Pranab Mukherjee adminstered oath of office to her.
3) Indian author Sushmita Banerjee shot dead outside her house in Afghanistan.
3) Yahoo has adopted a new logo for the first time since its founding 18 years ago.
4) The monsoon session of Parliament has been extended by a day till September 7.
5) Two-day summit of the Group of Twenty (G-20) has begun at St. Peters burg in Russia. The summit will focus on issues pertaining to the economic growth throughout the developed world.
6) Union Health Ministry announced former Indian cricket team captain Rahul Dravid as brand ambassador for its National Tobacco Control Campaign.
7) Air India hikes fares by up to 25 per cent on all domestic routes.
8) ICICI Bank, the country’s largest private sector bank, launched its ‘Branch on Wheels’ to offer basic banking services in remote areas which have so far been devoid of banking facilities.
9) Nadal won his 20th straight hardcourt match to storm into the semifinals of the U.S. Open.
10) India’s Sania Mirza and her Chinese partner Jie Zheng stormed into the semifinals of the women’s doubles at US Open.
11) Leander Paes–Radek Stepanek stun Bryan brothers to enter finals of US Open men's doubles.
1) Raghuram Rajan took over as the 23rd governor of RBI from Duvvuri Subbarao. Faced with a tough economy and unstable rupee against the dollar he stressed the need for monetary stability saying it was a top priority.
2) The Pension fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) Bill, 2013 has been passed in the Lok Sabha. The Bill will open the doors for foreign investment in pension funds.
3) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh arrives in St Petersburg for 8th G20 summit.
4) Direct Benefit Transfer program for LPG will be extended to another 289 districts by the 1st of January, 2014.
5) Google announced that next version of Android operating system will be called Kitkat and not Key Pie Lime as reported earlier.
1) Software giant Microsoft to acquire Finnish handset maker Nokia's handset business for 5.44 billion euros (USD 7.17 billion) in cash, in an effort to strengthen its position in the smartphone market.
2) President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the 11th Asian Pacific Postal Union (APPU) Congress at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi.
3) Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani school girl shot in the head in a failed assassination attempt by the Taliban inaugurated Europe’s biggest public library in Birmingham.
4) Gary Kirsten to join IPL franchisee Delhi Daredevils as head coach.
5) Department of Electronics and Information Technology is going to release a policy restricting usage of Gmail and Yahoo in official communications. The policy is being drafted so as to ensure the safety of government data. This may come into implementation in two months.
5) Pakistani Army Chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani visited LoC
6) Human Resource Development (HRD) ministry launched the third All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE)-2012-13.
7) Roger Federer crashed out of the US Open to Tommy Robredo.
1) Food Security Bill passed by Rajya Sabha.
2) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh launched Mahatma Gandhi heritage portal dedicated to writings, works and manuscripts of Gandhi.
3) S Bal Shekar, the secretary in the Lok Sabha secretariat, has been asked to perform the duties of the Lok Sabha secretary general after TK Vishwanathan relinquished his office on August 31.
4) Asram Bapu, the controversial Godman arrested in sexual assault case was sent to 14 day judicial remand.
5) Defense Minister AK Antony inducted C-17 heavy lift transport aircraft in to Indian Air Force formally.
6) Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde informed the cabinet that a resolution on Telangana will take place within 20 days.
7) TK Srivatsava is the new executive director of Syndicate Bank. He was presently the general manager in Union Bank of India.
1) South Korea beat India 4-3 to win 9th Asia Cup hockey Tournament. This year tournament was held in Ipoh, Malaysia.
2) Central govt to hike DA by 10 percent; 80 lakh employees, pensioners to get benefit.
3) Sachin Tendulkar to play 200th Test against West Indies at home. Decision to invite West Indies for two Tests and five ODIs was taken at the working committee meeting. Mumbai and Kolkata are the likely venues for the much-anticipated matches. Champion batsman has so far played 198 Tests, scoring 15,837 runs at an average of 53.86.
4) Ailing anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela was discharged from hospital though his condition remains critical, said Presidency.
5) India has retained their top position in the latest ICC ODI team rankings.
6) India takes on South Korea in Asia Cup Hockey final. If India beat Korea in the final, they will gain a direct entry in 2014 World Cup in The Hague.