28 September 2013: Daily Current Affairs Updates
1) Miss Philippines Megan Young crowned Miss World 2013: Megan Young of Philippines was crowned Miss World 2013 at the Bali Nasa Dua Convention Center in Bali, Indonesia! Miss France, Marine Lorphelin finished as the first runner-up, Miss Ghana Carranzar Naa Okailey Shooter was the second runner up. Megan Young was crowned by last year's winner, Miss World 2012 Yu Wenxia of China PR. She beat 127 contestants from all across the world to emerge victorious.
2) IIM A wins V-Guard Big Idea Business Plan contest 2013: IIM Ahmedabad has emerged winners of V-Guard Big Idea Business Plan Contest 2013 held here which witnessed participation of 20 teams across the country.
3) IIM-Calcutta among world's top 20 Business schools: Prestigious B-school Indian Institute of Management Calcutta has been ranked 19th by the FT Global Rankings above the London School of Economics and Manchester Business School for its management programmes.
1) Families of Muzaffarnagar victims to get Govt jobs: An order has been issued by the Uttar Pradesh Government to provide Government jobs to the families of those killed during riots in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining areas.
2) Country’s first ever naval and maritime exposition and conference, Namexpo 2013, concluded at Kochi with a Marcos (marine commandos) demonstration and visits to naval ships.
3) Mumbai building collapse: Death toll rises to 43, several still feared trapped.
1) Pakistan earthquake: Massive aftershock jolts quake-hit area: Several cities of Pakistan’s Sindh and Balochistan provinces were today hit by a massive 7.2-magnitude aftershock, three days after an earthquake measuring 7.7 struck the region killing over 500 people.
2) Steve Ballmer bids farewell at Microsoft: Outgoing Microsoft boss Steve Ballmer has bid an emotional farewell to his colleagues at an annual employee meeting that is likely to be his last before leaving the company. Ballmer, who is set to leave Microsoft within the year, told 13,000 Microsoft employees packed into a Seattle basketball arena that the company will keep on innovating.
3) Malala Yousufzai honoured at Harvard: Pakistani girl who survived an assassination attempt by the Taliban is being honoured as Harvard University’s humanitarian of the year. Malala Yousafzai is an outspoken proponent for girls’ education. She was at Harvard yesterday to accept the 2013 Peter J Gomes Humanitarian Award.
4) Obama reaffirms US’ backing to India’s UNSC bid: President Barack Obama has reaffirmed US’ backing to India’s bid for a permanent seat in a reformed UN Security Council as he and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh agreed to expand collaboration at the global level to meet new challenges.
5) India, US seal first commercial deal on civil nuclear power: Five years after India and the US signed a landmark civil nuclear deal, the two countries have clinched the first commercial agreement on civilian nuclear power cooperation that was stalled over India’s nuclear liability law.
6) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has addressed the United Nations General Assembly.
7) UN adopts Syria chemical arms resolution: UN security council unanimously passed a landmark resolution ordering the destruction of Syria's chemical weapons and condemning a murderous poison gas attack in Damascus.
8) Manmohan Singh to hold first meeting with Pak PM Nawaz Sharif tomorrow: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will meet Nawaz Sharif in New York on Sunday when he is likely to ask him to rein in terror elements operating from their soil and unleashing violence in India.
1) N. Srinivasan all set for third term as BCCI President despite court directives: Unruffled by criticism and adverse observations of the Supreme Court, a defiant N Srinivasan is all set to be elected unopposed as BCCI president for a third year even as two vice-presidents were on Saturday unceremoniously dumped ahead of the Board's AGM on Sunday.
2) Shukla, Bansal, Savant to become new BCCI Vice-Presidents: Senior politician and Uttar Pradesh Cricket Association chief Rajiv Shukla, MCA President Ravi Savant and DDCA secretary Sneh Bansal will become new BCCI Vice-Presidents after incumbents Arun Jaitley, Niranjan Shah and Sudhir Dabir refused extension for various reasons.
3) Delhi enters final of the NKP Salve Challenger series with a thumping 112-run win over India 'Red'. Virat Kohli led side will meet Yuvraj Singh's India 'Blue' in the final of the tournament.
1) Nimbuzz set to launch conference call facility soon: Instant messaging service provider Nimbuzz said the company will soon move into voice services by launching a conference call facility over the next few months.
2) Tatkal booking in passenger trains too: Railways has decided to introduce the Tatkal scheme for booking of tickets in passenger trains. Till now, Tatkal is available for mail and express trains including premier services like Rajdhani, Duronto and Shatabdi. Official said there are certain passenger trains which have sleeper classes and passengers can avail the scheme in those trains. The scheme will also be applicable for second class (sitting) in passenger trains.
1) Rama Rao takes charge as Vijaya Bank ED: B S Rama Rao has taken charge as second executive director of Vijaya Bank. Prior to joining Vijaya Bank, Rao was General Manager in Andhra Bank.