21 September 2013: Daily Current Affairs updates
1) Gyan Correa’s National award-winning Gujarati film ‘The Good Road’, a lost-and-found story of a small boy, was today nominated to represent India in the Best Foreign Film category at next year’s Oscars.
2) Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa inaugurated the celebrations of 100 years of Indian cinema at Jawaharlal Nehru Indoor stadium in Chennai. It was jointly organised by the state government and South Indian Film Chamber of Commerce.
1) World Alzheimer's Day observed- September 21st is observed as the World Alzheimer's day for focusing on raising the awareness about Alzheimer's and dementia. Alzheimer's organisations give special attention on this day to keep people around the globe alert about Alzheimer's disease, which is the most common form of dementia. The most important risk factors of Alzheimer's disease are age, family history, and heredity. There are many other factors as well, which increase the risk of getting Alzheimer's disease that are generally related to your lifestyle.
1) World’s largest solar project coming up near Jaipur- Heavy Industries Ministry is planning to set up an ‘Ultra Mega Green Solar Power Project’ in Rajasthan. It will be developed on 23,000 acres of land belonging to Sambhar Salts Ltd. This area is close to Sambhar lake and about 75 km from Jaipur. The total capacity of this project will be 4,000 MW, making it the largest solar-based power project in the world. The first phase of the project, which will be 1,000 MW, is likely to be commissioned in three years – end of 2016.
1) Blaming the Samajwadi Party Government for the recent Muzaffarnagar riots, two former legislators today resigned from the party.
2) Small destinations in the country will have air connectivity with a network of more than 100 airports planned to meet the expected passenger load capacity of 30 crore by 2020, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today said.
3) Emergency cell set up at Nedumbassery airport in Kochi, Kerala to ensure that the operations are not affected in case there is flooding if the shutters of the Idukki dam are opened.
1) 35% voter turnout recorded in Sri Lanka provincial council elections.
2) Pakistani judicial commission today left for India to cross-examine the key witnesses in the Mumbai attacks case to take forward the prosecution of seven suspects, including LeT commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi.
3) World’s chemical weapons watchdog has begun today to examine details of Syria’s chemical arsenal supplied by the regime, as rebels agreed a truce with jihadists in a key border town.
4) Super typhoon Usagi hits Philippines, Taiwan.
1) Mumbai Police has charge sheeted Chennai Super Kings’ former Team Principal Gurunath Meiyappan in the IPL betting scandal.
2) Defending champions Mumbai Indians today announced its official Twitter hashtag dedicated to Sachin Tendulkar for the Champions League T20 tournament. For the next one month of Champions League T20, all tweets from MIpaltan and its fans would have #ThisTimeFor10dulkar as its official hashtag.
3) Group stage matches of the Champions League T20 kicks start today with inaugural match between Rajasthan Royals and Mumbai Indians.
4) Greek Alpine skier Ioannis Antoniou has been named as the first torchbearer of the Sochi 2014 Olympic Torch Relay.
1) Gold prices slumped further at the domestic bullion market on Saturday due to consistent selling by stockists as well as subdued investment offtake amid bearish overseas sentiment.
2) Jawaid Akhtar, Chairman, Coffee Board of India, has been elected chairperson of the International Coffee Council.
3) Repo rate hike is likely to add to the burden of the automobile industry, which is already reeling under sluggish demand. Buyers may rethink on purchases during the festival season, as interest rates on loans will go up.
4) Members of the All-Kerala Bank Employees Federation will take part in the September 25 all-India bank strike, the federation has said. strike, called by the All-India Bank Employees Association, is to oppose the move for amalgamation of State Bank’s associated banks and the RBI’s plan to give banking licences to non-banking finance companies and corporate houses. The association also seeks autonomy for the associated banks of the State Bank of India.
1) Internet giant Google has modified its homepage making it user friendly across various devices such as mobiles and tablets.