16 September 2013: Daily Current Affairs
1) World Ozone Day being observed today: This year’s theme of World Ozone Day 2013 is “A Healthy Atmosphere, the Future We Want”. World ozone day is observed on 16 September every year since 1995. This day marks the importance of ozone layer and its profuse contributions to saving the environment of earth. This date was chosen by the United Nations General Assembly in its resolution to remember the signing of Montreal Protocol on substances depleting the ozone layer.
2) Keralites with traditional fervour and gaiety celebrated Onam.
1) Muzaffarnagar violence: Terming the communal riots in Muzaffarnagar a "big tragedy", Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, during a visit to the violence-hit Uttar Pradesh district today along with Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and party vice president Rahul Gandhi on Monday, called for punishing the guilty.
2) SC backs Centre on cutting diesel subsidy: Supreme Court on Monday cleared the decks for Centre for not providing subsidised diesel to bulk consumers of public utility services like Railways and state transport corporations, saying the economy is in bad shape and pragmatic approach is needed to be taken on subsidies.
3) Controversial godman Asaram Bapu, accused of sexually assaulting a minor, will remain in jail with court extending his judicial custody by 14 days.
4) Mountainous Northeast India would be connected to the railway network of neighbouring Myanmar to link up with the ambitious 81,000 km-long Trans-Asian Railway Network (TARN).
5) Commercial operations of the first 1,000 MW unit of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP) have once again been shifted to October, the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) said.
6) Left-leaning All India Students Association (AISA) on Monday swept the Jawaharlal Nehru University Students Union (JNUSU) election.
7) Karnataka relaxes dress code for its employees.
1) UN report confirms use of chemical weapon sarin in Syria attack.
2) Typhoon Man-yi hit central Japan.
1) Nina Davuluri became the first contestant of Indian heritage to win the Miss America pageant.
2) Microsoft Corp co-founder Bill Gates is still America's richest man, taking the top spot in the Forbes 400 list for the 20th straight year with a net worth of 72 billion dollars.
1) Rupee ends at one-month high of 62.83 against dollar.
2) Sensex on Monday wiped out over 350-point rise in early trade to end with 9.71 point rise as a pick-up in August wholesale inflation dashed hopes of RBI cutting rates later this week.
3) Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram launched the IRDA's Insurance Repository System (IRS) in Hyderabad.
1) PV Sindhu to lead Indian challenge at Japan Open starting 17 September 2013.
2) Djokovic, Tipsarevic take Serbia into Davis Cup final.
3) Champions League T20 2013 starts with qualifiers on 17 September 2013. THis was the fourth season.
4) Cristiano Ronaldo renews contract with Real Madrid.
1) Condition of veteran actor Dilip Kumar, who was admitted to Lilavati hospital on Sunday night after he complained of breathlessness, is stable, his family said.
2) Abhinav Shiv Tiwari's "OASS", a movie on human trafficking, was named the best film at the second edition of the Ladakh International Film Festival (LIFF).3) Saudi Arabia, where cinemas are banned, is to compete for an Oscar for the first time next year with feminist film "Wadjda" directed by Haifaa al-Mansour, a Saudi official announced.