Questions with Answer key- Postal Assistant Exam 2013 (Phase 1- 21 April 2013) Exam Part C - English
DIRECTIONS: In the following questions, identify the correct reported speech from the given alternatives.
01. He said, "I must go home at once."
(A) He said that he had to go home then
(B) He said that he must go home then and there
(C) He said that he must have gone home at once
(D) He said that he had to go home at once
Ans. (A) He said that he had to go home then
02. Miss Ragini said to me, "Put these pencil shavings in the dustbin."
(A) Miss Ragini said to me to put these pencil shavings in the dustbin
(B) Miss Ragini ordered me to put these pencil shavings in the dustbin
(C) Miss Ragini asked me to put those pencil shavings in the dustbin
(D) Miss Ragini told me to put those pencil shavings in the dustbin
Ans. (C) Miss Ragini asked me to put those pencil shavings in the dustbin
03. She said, "oh dear! I have just missed the bus.":
(A) She said with regret that she had just missed the bus
(B) She exclaimed that she has just missed the bus
(C) She regretted that she just missed the bus
(D) She narrated that she just missed the bus
Ans. (C) She regretted that she just missed the bus
DIRECTIONS: Fill in the blank with correct preposition
04. He invited all his friends............ tea
Ans. (C) To
05. Rita drove............ a red light.
Ans. (B) Through
06. Distribute the sweets equally............ four children.
Ans. (A) Among
07. Identify the adverb in the following sentence.
He spoke well at the meeting last night.
(A) Last Night
(D) All of these
Ans. (C) Well
08. Identify which is not adverb from among following underlined words in the given sentences.
She sings pretty well. I do my work carefully. He is wise enough to understand the trick. The flower smells sweet.
Ans. (D) Sweet
09. Given below is the sentence in active voice. Choose the correct sentence given in passive voice among the alternatives.
Ought you not to reveal the truth now?
(A) Should the truth need not be revealed by you then?
(B) Ought the truth not to be revealed by you now?
(C) Ought the truth not to be revealed by you then?
(D) Ought the truth need not be revealed by you now?
Ans. (B) Ought the truth not to be revealed by you now?
10. Choose the incorrect sentence among the following:
(A) By next December we shall have been living here for six years.
(B) I have been writing four letters since morning.
(C) At this time tomorrow we will be watching a film
(D) I have been standing here for hours.
Ans. (A) By next December we shall have been living here for six years.
11. Given below are four substitutions for the underlined part. Choose the correct alternative to make the sentence grammatically correct.
Make haste lest you should not be caught in the storm:
(A) You might be
(B) You could be
(C) You should be
(D) Otherwise you can be
Ans. (A) You might be
DIRECTIONS: In this section each sentence has three parts indicated by (A), (B) and (C). Read each sentence to find out whether there is an error. If you find an error in any one of the parts (A), (B), (C) indicate your response by blackening the letter related to that part in the OMR sheet provided. If a sentence has no error, indicate this by blackening "D" which stands for no error. Error may belong to grammar usage.
12. Seldom we have been treated (A)/ in such a rude manner (B)/ by the police Personnel (C)/ No error (D)
Ans. No error
13. Some men are born great (A)/ some achieve greatness (B)/ and some had greatness thrust on them (C)/ No error (D)
Ans. some had greatness thrust on them
14. Beware of (A)/ a fair-weather friend (B)/ who is neither a friend need nor a friend indeed (C)/ No error (D).
Ans. who is neither a friend need nor a friend indeed
15. What shall be correct combination of two simple sentences into a complex sentence by using a noun clause?
Can you come? He asked me:
(A) He asked me to come
(B) He asked me if I could come
(C) He asked me whether I can come?
(D) He asked me whether I might come
Ans. (B) He asked me if I could come
16. Identify the nouns used both for singular and plural form:
Ans. (A) Sheep
DIRECTIONS: Fill the correct article
17. Ramesh's father is ____ M.P and Suresh's father is _______Member of Legislative Assembly.
(A) An, A
(B) An, An
(C) A, An
(D) An, The
Ans. (A) An, A
DIRECTIONS: Complete the sentence correctly
18. Ram is so proud of his position that he _________ his subordinates.
(A) Looks for
(B) Looks into
(C) Looks down upon
(D) Looks after
Ans. (C) Looks down upon
DIRECTIONS: Complete the sentence with correct adversative conjunction
19. Shruti ran fast ______ she missed the train
Ans. (A) But
DIRECTIONS: Choose the word which is similar or most nearly similar in meaning as the word given in bold and mark your answer.
Ans. (A) Clever
Ans. (B) Rudely
Ans. (B) Abridge
DIRECTIONS: Choose the word which is opposite in meaning as the word given in bold and mark your answer.
Ans. (A) Responsiveness
Ans. (C) Normal
Ans. (D) Comic
*Comment if there is discrepancy in answers to any questions
Follow us on Facebook!!!!!!!
Follow us on Facebook!!!!!!!