Sunday, February 1, 2015
1) Who among the following was appointed as the new chairman of Sangeet Natak Akademi on 29 January 2015?
(A) Shekhar Sen
(B) N Gopalaswami
(C) Leela Samson
(D) S Jayasankar
2) Which country was confirmed as the host for the 2016 Twenty20 World Cup recently?
(B) West Indies
3) On 28 January 2015, nation paid tributes to which national martyr of freedom movement on his 150th birth anniversary?
(A) Mangal Panday
(B) Lala Lajpat Rai
(C) Subhash Chandra Bose
(D) Bhagath Singh
4) Shirani Bhandaranayake, who was reinstated by the new government led by President Maithiripala Sirisena on 28 January 2015, was the first woman Chief Justice of which country?
5) Who has assumed charge as the new Chairman and Managing Director of National Research Development Corporation (NRDC) recently?
(A) Rehman Khan
(B) Hanumanthu Purushotham
(C) DP Sinha
(D) Rohit Upadhyaya
6) Nation on 29 January 2015 paid rich tributes to ______, who was martyred in an encounter with militants a day after he got his gallantry award on Republic Day?
(A) Col. MN Rai
(B) Major Mukund Varadarajan
(C) Major Naik Neeraj Kumar Singh
(D) None of these
7) Which Messenger service has recently rolled out free voice-calling, a month after its first acquisition of a free calling app - Zip Phone?
(B) We Chat
8) Kalyan Singh took additional charge as Himachal Governor on 28 January 2015. He was originally the Governor of which state?
(B) West Bengal
9) Which company reported quarterly profits of $18 billion on 27 January 2015 which is the largest profit in global corporate history?
10) Veteran actor Mala Aravindan who passed away on 28 January 2015 is from which industry?
1) Ans. (A) Shekhar Sen
2) Ans. (D) India
3) Ans. (B) Lala Lajpat Rai
4) Ans. (C) Srilanka
5) Ans. (B) Hanumanthu Purushotham
6) Ans. (A) Col. MN Rai
7) Ans. (C) Hike
8) Ans. (D) Rajasthan
9) Ans. (C) Apple
10) Ans. (A) Malayalam
Saturday, January 31, 2015
Friends.. from now onwards our daily Current Affairs Updates will be coming to you in a slightly new format which has been devised as per the requests received from many. Hope you will like the change. Further suggestions are welcome.
1) Nation observed death anniversary of the Mahatma Gandhi:
--> Nation observes the death anniversary of the Father of the nation, Mahatma Gandhi as Martyrs' Day on 30 January 2015.
-->The country also observed Martyrs' day to honour all those who gave their life for the country.
--> Silence observed and work and movement stopped for two minutes throughout the country at 11 am on Jan 30. The day marks the 67th death anniversary of the Father of the nation.
--> Mahatma Gandhi, considered as the pillar of India's freedom struggle movement, was assassinated on the 30 January 1948.
2) Krishna Chaudhary appointed new ITBP chief:
--> Indian Police Service (IPS) officer Krishna Chaudhary will take over as the new Director General (DG) of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP).
--> Chaudhary, who is currently the Director General of the Railway Protection Force, is a 1979-batch Bihar cadre officer. He has been appointed for two years.
--> He succeeds Subhas Goswami who retired on December 31, 2014.
3) Commemorative Postage Stamp on Swachh Bharat released:
--> Department of Posts, Ministry of Communications & IT has come out with a set of Commemorative Postage Stamps on the theme Swachh Bharat.
--> The Union Minister of Communications &IT, Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad released a set of Commemorative Postage stamps on Swachh Bharat on 30 January 2015.
--> The MOC&IT was hopeful that the stamp on Swachh Bharat will provide impetus and momentum to the Clean India campaign started by Hon'ble Prime Minister on 2nd October.
4) Union Govt. sold its 10% stake in Coal India Limited (CIL):
--> Union Govt. has sold its 10% stake in Coal India Limited (CIL) on 30 January 2015.
--> This stake sale was oversubscribed 1.05 times and fetched about Rs. 22,600 crore.
--> This was the biggest ever share sale by any private or public sector company in India. It exceeded the previous record of over Rs. 15,000 crore by CIL itself in 2010.
5) Jayanthi Natarajan quits Congress:
--> Former union minister Jayanthi Natrajan resigned from the Congress party on 30 January 2015, accusing it of not being democratic. She was Environment and Forest Minister in previous UPA government.
--> Natarajan held a press conference in Chennai and said that there is no internal democracy in the Congress party now.
--> A letter said to have been written by her to Congress President Sonia Gandhi last November, has been published by The Hindu newspaper.
--> She disclosed in her letter that Rahul Gandhi was involved in policy decisions at a micro-level during the UPA-II regime. Jayanthi Natarajan said that she has become a victim of a false and motivated media campaign against her by some Congress leaders.
6) Anti-Leprosy Day observed:
--> Anti Leprosy Day is being held on 30th January every year to raise leprosy awareness among people and to offer help to those affected by the disease.
--> President Pranab Mukherjee has extended his best wishes to the Indian Leprosy Association on the occasion of Anti Leprosy Day.
7) India knocked out of tri-series in Australia:
--> India were on 30 January 2015 knocked out of the tri-series cricket tournament after yet another spineless display as England recovered from a top-order collapse to record a three-wicket victory and secure a place in the final in Perth.
8) Railway Minister flagged off trains remotely through Telepresence Service:
--> Minister for Railways Shri Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu, flagged off four Express trains from Bengaluru remotely through Telepresence Service of RailTel, a PSU of Railways.
--> All the four flag offs were done remotely from concourse area of Bangalore City Railway station itself.
--> Telepresence offers a more engaging video conference with cutting edge technology, so that the parties involved feel the immersive presence of participants at different locations.
9) RBI constituted high level panel on urban cooperative banks.
--> Reserve Bank on 30 January 2015 constituted a high-powered panel to re-examine and recommend appropriate set of businesses, size, conversion and licensing terms for the urban cooperative banking sector.
--> The committee under the chairmanship of RBI Deputy Governor R Gandhi has been set up on the recommendation made by the Standing Advisory Committee (SAC) on UCBs last year.
10) V K Saraswat joined as full-time member of NITI Aayog:
--> Former DRDO chief V K Saraswat on 30 January 2015 assumed charge as a full-time member of the NITI Aayog.
--> Government had announced the appointment of Saraswat and noted economist Bibek Debroy as full-time members of (National Institution for Transforming India) NITI Aayog earlier this month.
11) Robert Mugabe appointed African Union chairman:
--> Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe has been appointed the new chairman of the 54-nation African Union.
--> Announcement was made during the African Union's two-day heads of state summit at the organisation's headquarters in Ethiopia's capital, Addis Ababa.
12) Income Tax Department bagged National Award on E-Governance 2014-15:
--> The Income Tax Department has been awarded GOLD by the Government of India under category Cat-I-Excellence in Government Process Re-engineering for National Award on e-governance 2014-15.
--> The award has been conferred for TDS Reconciliation Analysis & Correction Enabling System (TRACES) project launched by the Department.
* Serena Williams defeated Maria Sharapova to win her sixth Australian Open title on January 31,2015.
* Williams, 33, moves past Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert with a 19th major singles title.
* Williams's sixth title at Melbourne Park moved her into a tie with fellow American Helen Wills Moody in third on the all-time list after she joined Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert on 18 at last year's U.S. Open.
* Only Australia's Margaret Court (24) and Germany's Steffi Graf (22), who holds the record for the Open era, have more grand slam singles titles than the 33-year-old American.
* Williams had not lost to Sharapova since the 2004 WTA Finals, a run of 15 successive victories and was not about to let the Russian end that streak in this final.
Friends.. the final result of Direct Recruitment of Postal Assistants ( Post Offices/ SBCO/Circle Office/ Regional Office/SBCO) and Sorting Assistants for the year 2013 & 2014 has been published by the Jammu & Kasmir Postal Circle . The examination for Paper-1 of the exam was held at Assam Postal Circle on 18 May 2014 and subsequently the Paper-2 ie, Computer/Typing test was held during 27 to 29 November 2014. Now this is the final result. Official intimation will be served to all selected candidates soon regarding the further formalities. Candidates can check the result from the below link. Congratulations to all the selected candidates!
Check result from official site: Click Here
Friends.. State Bank of India has published the result of its Associate PO Online Exam held during the month of November 2014. Roll Numbers of Candidates Shortlisted for Phase - II is available in the result. Phase - II (i.e. Group Discussion and Interview) will commence from 16-02-2015. Candidates shortlisted are being advised by way of SMS and e-mail separately. Candidates are advised to visit Bank's website www.sbi.co.in or www.statebankofindia.com to download Call-Letter for GD-cum-Interview and Bio-Data Form from 05-02-2015 onwards. Congratulations to all selected candidates!!
Check Result: Click Here
Friday, January 30, 2015
1) Who was appointed as the new foreign secretary of India on 28 January 2015?
(A) H S Brahma
(B) Sujatha Singh
(C) S Jaishankar
(D) DP Sinha
2) R K Laxman, the country's best-known cartoonist, passed away on 26 January 2015. He is best known for creation of which among the following iconic character?
(A) Common Man
(B) Amul girl
(C) Chacha Chaudhari
3) Alexis Tsipras was recently sworn in as prime minister of which country?
4) Who won the men's singles of Syed Modi Grand Prix Gold badminton tournament on 25 January 2015?
(A) HS Pranoy
(B) Kidambi Srikanth
(C) Parupalli Kashyap
(D) Lee Chong Wei
5) Who recently won the Allan Border Medal for the Australian player of the year?
(A) Mitchell Johnson
(B) Steve Smith
(C) Brad Haddin
(D) James Faulkner
6) Which International Airport has recently emerged as the busiest international airport in the world?
(A) Dubai International Airport
(B) United Kingdom London Heathrow Airport
(C) Hong Kong International Airport
(D) Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport
7) Name the winter snow storm recently hit the northeastern states of the USA?
8) Tomas Berdych of Czech Republic recently defeated which top seeded player in the quarterfinals of Australian Open 2015?
(A) Rafael Nadal
(B) Roger Federer
(C) Andy Murray
(D) Novak Djokovic
9) Which cricket player recently pulled out of West Indies World Cup squad saying he needed more time to work on his bowling action?
(A) Darren Sammy
(B) Sulaiman Benn
(C) Jerome Taylor
(D) Sunil Narine
10) After deciding to split into three, which company recently became the first Indian listed company to solely focus on life insurance?
(A) Max India
1) Ans. (C) S Jaishankar
2) Ans. (A) Common Man
3) Ans. (D) Greece
4) Ans. (C) Parupalli Kashyap
5) Ans. (B) Steve Smith
6) Ans. (A) Dubai International Airport
7) Ans. (B) Juno
8) Ans. (A) Rafael Nadal
9) Ans. (D) Sunil Narine
10) Ans. (A) Max India
1) Shekhar Sen named chairman of Sangeet Natak Akademy: Eminent singer and theatre director Shekhar Sen was on 29 January 2015 appointed the new chairman of the Sangeet Natak Akademi, the country's premier institution for the performing arts. Mr. Sen was recently awarded the Padma Shri on Republic day for his contribution to the arts. According to an order issued by the Culture Ministry, Sen has been appointed for a term of five years with immediate effect. The Akademi has been without a head after earlier chairperson Leela Samson, who was appointed by the UPA government, quit on September 30 last year.
2) India to host next edition of ICC Twenty20 WC in 2016: ndia has been confirmed as host for the 2016 Twenty20 World Cup, scheduled to be held from March 11 to April 3, the ICC announced after ratifying its decision in the Board meeting in Dubai on 29 January 2015. This will be the first time that India will be hosting a World T20 tournament. So far there have been five editions of the event with India winning the inaugural one in 2007 in South Africa. Bangladesh had hosted the last edition of the tournament in 2014.
3) Hanumanthu Purushotham took charge as new NRDC Chairman: Eminent scientist Hanumanthu Purushotham has assumed charge as the new Chairman and Managing Director of National Research Development Corporation (NRDC). Prior to this assignment, he was Scientist-G and Head of Knowledge Management Centre of International Advanced Research Centre for Powder Metallurgy and New Materials (ARCI), Department of Science and Technology at Hyderabad.
4) Col. MN Rai cremated with full military honours in Delhi: Rich tributes were paid on 29 January 2015 to Colonel M N Rai, who was martyred in an encounter with militants a day after he got his gallantry award on Republic Day, in New Delhi. His body was brought to the capital where his funeral was held with full military honours. An emotional farewell was given to the Martyred hero Col. M N Rai. Col. M N Rai was martyred on 27 Jan 2015 in an encounter with terrorists in the Pulwama district of Jammu and Kashmir. The colonel was honoured with a gallantry medal on Republic Day just a day ahead of his fatal encounter that also claimed the life of a police constable.
5) GNLF founder Subhash Ghisingh died: Gorkha National Liberation Front founder Subhash Ghisingh, who spearheaded the Gorkhaland movement in the 1980s, died on 29 January 2015 at the age of 78. Ghisingh had founded GNLF in 1980 and was the chairman of the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council in West Bengal from 1988 to 2008. He had led the Gorkhaland movement to demand for a separate state for ethnic Gorkha people living in Darjeeling district of West Bengal. The GNLF led the movement, which disrupted the district with massive violence between 1986 and 1988.
6) Maharashtra's 'pilgrimage to wadi' won the best tableaux award in R-Day Parade: In the tableaux category in this year's Republic Day parade, the first position went to the Maharashtra tableau, which depicted 'Wari to Pandharpur' (the pilgrimage to Pandharpur). A total of 25 tableaux, including nine from Union ministries and departments, had taken part in the parade. While the Jharkhand tableau on Maluti temples was adjudged second, the third position was won by the Karnataka tableau on the Channapatna toys.
7) Four-day long R-Day celebrations concluded with 'Beating Retreat' ceremony: The four-day long Republic Day celebrations concluded on Thursday with 'Beating Retreat' ceremony as splendid performances by military bands and musicians from all the three forces enthralled the gathering. Lilting martial tunes and massed pipes and drum bands reverberated the air as the majestic Raisina Hills was lit up as part of the Beating the Retreat ceremony in New Delhi, marking the end of Republic Day celebrations.
8) S. Jaishankar took charge as Foreign Secretary: Less than twelve hours after the government’s official notification appointing him, the new foreign secretary, Dr. S. Jaishankar took charge on 29 January 2015 morning.
9) Airtel tied up with Kotak Mahindra to apply for Payments Bank license: Bharti Airtel, through its wholly-owned subsidiary Airtel M Commerce Services Ltd. (AMSL), is applying for a Payments Bank licence with Kotak Mahindra Bank as a partner. AMSL, that offers mobile money services under the brand name Airtel Money, is proposing to convert the existing pre-paid payment instrument licence into a Payments Bank license as per the guidelines prescribed by the Reserve bank of India, Bharti Airtel said.
10) PM Modi becomes first global leader to tweet audio, video: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday became the world's first leader to send out an audio-video tweet, when he tweeted a conversation between him and US President Barack Obama during "Mann Ki Baat". The PM's twitter account Prime Minister @NarendraModi has become a fully audio-video enabled account. Twitter users heard the special episode on Twitter itself.
11) Kumar Sangakkara sets new ODI dismissals record: Sri Lanka's Kumar Sangakkara broke the world record for the most dismissals by a wicketkeeper in one-day internationals on 29 January 2015. Sangakkara reached 473 dismissals - 377 catches and 96 stumpings - when he caught Corey Anderson off the bowling of Shaminda Eranga in a 34-run win over New Zealand in Wellington. Retired Australian wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist had held the earlier record.