Friday, October 24, 2014
1) India celebrated Diwali with traditional fervour: Diwali, the festival of lights, was celebrated with traditional fervour across the country with people exchanging sweets and gifts with friends and relatives, decking up their houses with earthen diyas and tiny lights and illuminating the evening sky with fireworks. Diwali is celebrated to mark the return of Lord Rama to Ayodhya from his exile after vanquishing demon-king Ravana.
2) PM Modi visits Siachen, meets soldiers on Diwali: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday morning visited forward posts in the Siachen Glacier-Saltoro Ridge region, ahead of his scheduled visit to be with flood-hit people of J&K on Diwali. "It's my good fortune that I will be able to spend time with our brave soldiers on this special day," Modi tweeted on Thursday morning. Siachen, often described as the world's highest, coldest and costliest battlefield, is one of the eight points in the stalled composite dialogue process with Pakistan.
3) PM Modi announced Rs 745 crore for Jammu & Kashmir: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday announced Rs 175 crore for renovation of six major hospitals and Rs 570 crore for the rebuilding homes damaged in the recent floods in Jammu & Kashmir. Announcing this in Srinagar, the Prime Minister also assured of all possible assistance from the Centre to the state to help it recover from the devastation caused by the floods. Modi said the loss memo of Rs 44,000 crore submitted to the Centre by the state government was being considered.
4) Google launched new email service dubbed ‘Inbox’: Google Inc launched an email service called 'Inbox' on Wednesday that will better organize emails and display information such as appointments, flight bookings and package deliveries in a more user-friendly way. Google said it was sending out invitations to selected Gmail users to try out the new service. Users can also email the company at firstname.lastname@example.org to get an invitation.
5) Microsoft to drop Nokia name from smartphones in India by year-end: Microsoft is set to drop the iconic Nokia name from its smartphones in India by the end of this year, as the US giant embarks on a drive to give a new identity to a brand that was once a synonym for mobile handsets. According to people in the know, Microsoft will be undertaking the rebranding exercise country-by-country, instead of doing it in one sweep globally. The first brand change will happen in France, where, over the coming days, the Nokia name will be replaced on its Facebook, Twitter and other social media accounts by "Microsoft Lumia", the new brand identity.
6) Kosovo granted provisional Olympic recognition by IOC: Kosovo is on track to take part in its first ever Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in 2016 after the region in the Balkans was granted provisional recognition by the International Olympic Committee on Wednesday. It could now achieve full membership as early as the IOC session in December, the IOC said in a statement on Wednesday. The decision angered Serbia's Olympic Committee which has lodged an official protest with the Olympic body. Kosovo declared independence from Serbia in 2008, almost a decade after NATO went to war to halt the massacre and expulsion of Albanians by Serbian forces waging a two-year counter-insurgency.
Thursday, October 23, 2014
Friends.. Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has published the timetable for Civil Services Mains Exam 2014. Mains Exam is scheduled to be held from December 14 to December 20 in two sessions. There will be 7 papers in the main exam for a total of 1750 marks.
The UPSC (Mains) this year has a revised pattern and consists of the papers as mentioned below :
Paper 1 - Essay
It is of 250 marks, which can be written in any medium or language of candidate's coice.
Paper 2 - General Studies-I
The paper is of 250 marks involving Indian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography of the World and Society
Paper 3 - General Studies -II
The paper is of 250 marks involving Technology, Economic Development, Bio-diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management
Paper 4 - General Studies -III
The paper is of 250 marks involving Technology, Economic Development, Bio?diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management
Paper 5 - General Studies -IV
The paper is of 250 marks involving Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude
Paper 6 - Optional Subject - Paper 1
Paper 7 - Optional Subject - Paper 2
Candidates who have cleared the preliminary exam 2014 can apply for the main exam to remain eligible for final selection. The last date to register online for the mains exam is November 11, 2014.
View timetable of mains: Click here
Current Affairs PDF-October 2014
Download as PDF- Click Here
1) Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 2 October 2014 launched Swachh Bharat (Clean India) campaign in New Delhi. What is the tag-line of the mission?
Ans. “Ek Kadam Swachhta Ki Ore”
Note: On the occasion of launch of the campaign in Rajpath New Delhi, Modi administered an oath to a large gathering to keep their neighbourhoods clean. He asked people to donate (Shramdaan) 100 hours every year or two hours every week for cleanliness.
2) 17th Asian Games Incheon 2014 was held in Incheon, South Korea from 19 September to 4 October 2014. Name the Slogan of the Asian Games Incheon 2014?
Ans. Diversity Shines Here
3) Name the winners of Nobel Peace Prize 2014?
Ans. Pakistani child education activist Malala Yousafzai and Indian child rights activist Kailash Satyarthi
Read details: http://goo.gl/C8LVo6
4) Indian cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni on 6 October 2014 became the co-owner of which Indian Super League franchise?
Ans. Chennaiyin FC
5) Which city will host the next Asian Games in 2018?
Ans. Jakarta, Indonesia
6) Name the winners of 2014 Nobel Prize for Physics?
Ans. Isamu Akasaki, Hiroshi Amano and Shuji Nakamura
Read details: http://goo.gl/lKHNEG
7) Name the founder of social site Facebook who was recently in New Delhi on a two day visit from 9 October to 10 October 2014?
Ans. Mark Zuckerberg
8) Who won the Nobel Prize for literature for the year 2014?
Ans. Patrick Modiano
Read details: http://goo.gl/e60gHP
9) Which bollywood actor was appointed as the Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF in South Asia on 9 October 2014?
Ans. Aamir Khan
10) Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY) on the birth anniversary of whom on 11 October 2014?
Ans. Jai Prakash Narayan
Note: The programme is an ambitious village development project under which each Member of Parliament will take the responsibility for developing physical and institutional infrastructure in three villages by 2019.
11) Which Bollywood actor on 4 October 2014 received Global Diversity Award 2014 at the Britain’s House of Commons?
Ans. Shah Rukh Khan
Note: He was conferred the award for his outstanding achievements in the field of cinema and his involvement in philanthropic endevours.
12) Name the winners of 2014 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine?
Ans. John O´Keefe, May-Britt Moser and Edvard I. Moser
Read details: http://goo.gl/0ykVr6
13) Which country topped the Asian Games 2014 medals tally?
Ans. China with 151 Gold, 108 silver and 83 bronze
14) What was India's position in the Asian Games concluded recently?
Note: India bagged a total of 57 medals with 11 Gold, 10 Silver and 36 bronze.
15) Name the website launched by Union Government on 7 October 2014 to monitor the attendance of government employees in real time?
16) Who was appointed by Union Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) on 1 October 2014 as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Jet Airways?
Ans. Cramer Ball
Note: He will serve for the next three-year till 2017. Earlier, he was serving as the acting CEO of the Jet Airways.
17) Name the winners of 2014 Nobel Prize for Chemistry?
Ans. Eric Betzig, Stefan W Hell and William E. Moerner
Read Details: http://goo.gl/r03Po5
18) Who has resigned as the Chairperson of Sangeet Natak Akademi on 30 September 2014?
Ans. Leela Samson
19) Third International Day of the Girl Child (IDGC) was observed across the world on 11 October 2014 with the theme?
Ans. Empowering Adolescent Girls: Ending the Cycle of Violence.
20) Technology giant HP on 6 October 2014 announced that it will split itself into two separate publicly traded companies. Expand HP?
21) Which country recorded the highest number of polio cases in 14 years as revealed by the data of polio cases released recently?
22) President of India Pranab Mukherjee on 7 October 2014 presented the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award 2014 for Excellence in Public Administration, Academics and Management to whom?
Ans. Dr Apathukatha Sivathanu Pillai
Note: He was honoured for his outstanding contribution in the field of aerospace and missile technology.
23) World Post Day was observed recently on?
Ans. 9 October 2014
24) Who was appointed as the first Hindu priest (Chaplain) at Georgetown University recently?
Ans. Pratima Dharm
25) United Nations celebrated World Habitat Day on 6 October 2014 with the theme?
Ans. Voices from Slums
26) Who was named as the next CEO of IT training solutions firm National Institute of Information Technology Limited (NIIT Ltd) on 6 October 2014?
Ans. Rahul Keshav Patwardhan
27) World’s first womb-transplant baby was born to a 36-year-old woman from which country recently?
Note: The healthy baby boy was born in August 2014 at the University of Gothenburg's hospital in Sweden.
28) Indian Air Force (IAF) celebrated 82nd Air Force Day in New Delhi on?
Ans. 8 October 2014
29) Who was appointed as first woman director of Hindustan Unilever Limited (HUL) on 9 October 2014?
Ans. Kalpana Morparia
30) Supreme Court appointed high-powered committee headed by whom submitted its report to the court on 6 October 2014 with guidelines on government ads?
Ans. Professor NR Madhava Menon
31) First ever National Mental Health Day was recently observed on?
Ans. 10 October 2014
32) Who was conferred with Sir Ross Masood Lifetime Achievement Award 2014 for Excellence in Leadership, Education, community & Public Service on 30 September 2014?
Ans. Saiyid Hamid
Friends.. State Bank of India is going to conduct the recruitment of 2986 Probationary Officers (POs) in Associate Banks of State Bank of India. Exams are scheduled to be held in November 2014. Here is the list some useful books.
1. State Bank Of India And State Bank Associates Probationary Officer Exam Solved Papers 2000 - 2014
Publisher: Kiran Prakashan
Price: Rs. 255
See details & Buy Now>> fkrt.it/2UQDcNNN
2. SBI PO Online Exam State Bank Of India And State Bank Associates - Self Study Guide - Cum - Practice Work Book (With CD)
Publisher: Kiran Prakashan
Price: Rs. 550
See details & Buy Now>> fkrt.it/L~XWPNNN
3. SBI PO - SBI & Associate Banks Probationary Officers Exam : Previous Year's Solved Papers (English) 1st Edition
Price: Rs. 240
See details & Buy Now>> fkrt.it/M!I0cNNN
4. Associate Banks Of State Bank Probationary Officers Examination
Publisher: Upkar Prakashan
Price: Rs. 312
See details & Buy Now>> fkrt.it/2PvBcNNN
5. State Bank of India and Associates Banks - Recruitment of Probationary Officers
Publisher: Unique Publishers
Price: Rs. 339
See details & Buy Now>> fkrt.it/2DkPcNNN
6. SBI - PO State Bank of India & Associate Banks : Previous year's Papers (Solved)
Price: Rs. 184
See details & Buy Now>> fkrt.it/M1ZQcNNN
7. PO Exam - Associate Banks of SBI with Solved Paper (English) 1st Edition
Price: Rs. 245
See details & Buy Now>> fkrt.it/jF7UPNNN
More books are available which yu can choose as per your wish. Visit this link: fkrt.it/jfCoPNNN
1) SBI launched mPassBook facility on its smartphone application: The nation's largest lender State Bank of India(SBI) launched a facility called 'mPassBook' on 22 October 2014, on its 'State Bank Anywhere' mobile application, for its retail banking users. Launching the facility, SBI Chairman Arundhati Bhattacharya, said that 'mPassBook' is an electronic application of a physical passbook for savings bank and current accounts. The facility is currently available on Android phones but would soon be available on iOS and Blackberry phones too. The facility empowers users to view their transaction history on their smartphone and maintain an entire year's historical data on it.
2) India wins re-election to UN Human Rights Council: In a significant victory, India was on 22 October 2014 re-elected to the UN's main human rights body for the period of 2015-17, receiving the highest number of votes in the Asia-Pacific group. India is currently a member of the 47-nation UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC) and its first term is due to end on December 31, 2014. India was competing in the Asia-Pacific group in which four seats were up for election. The other countries competing in the group were Indonesia, Bangladesh, Qatar, Thailand, Kuwait, Cambodia, Philippines and Bahrain. Out of them, India, Bangladesh, Qatar and Indonesia made it to the UNHRC.
3) Tata's JLR opened first overseas facility in China: Tata's Jaguar Land Rover rolled out its premium luxury Range Rover Evoque at a colourful ceremony here inaugurating its first overseas factory in China with an investment of over USD 1.7 billion to consolidate its position in the world's largest car market.
4) Boxer Sarita Devi suspended for Asian Games protest: Taking a strict action, AIBA has provisionally suspended India's woman boxer Laishram Sarita Devi for refusing to accept the bronze medal at the Asian Games podium ceremony. Protesting against a controversial verdict, Sarita in an unprecedented move, had refused to wear the medal around her neck as she broke down on the podium during the ceremony for the 57-60 kg category. "The AIBA also provisionally suspended Sarita's coaches (Messrs Gurbakhsh Singh Sandhu, Blas Iglesias Fernandez and Sagar Mal Dhayal) as well as Indian chef-de-mission in the Incheon Asiad, Adille J Sumariwalla and will not allow any of them to participate at all levels of competitions, events and meetings until further notice," an AIBA statement said.
5) Malala Yousafzai gets US Liberty Medal: Pakistani teenager and Noble Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai has been conferred with the Liberty Medal, and the youngest recipient of the American award said this will encourage her to continue her campaign for child rights in countries including India. Malala has pledged to donate the $100,000 award money towards education in Pakistan. Previous recipients of this award include Hillary Clinton, Tony Blair, George H W Bush, Bill Clinton, Kofi Annan and Hamid Karzai.
6) Canada's parliament attacked: Canada's capital was jolted on Wednesday by the fatal shooting of a soldier and an attack on parliament building in which gunshots were fired outside a room where Prime Minister Stephen Harper was speaking. The gunman in the parliament building was shot dead and Harper was safely removed.
7) Oct 31 to be celebrated as "Rashtriya Ekta Diwas": The Central government has announced to commemorate Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel's birth anniversary Oct 31 as "National Integration Day." Sardar Patel, known as the "Iron Man of India", was instrumental in the merger of over 500 princely states to create a modern India, just after Independence between 1947-1949. Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar said the central government will make the "National Integration Day" or "Rashtriya Ekta Divas" as a popular mass movement with voluntary participation from all sections of the society.
8) Ex-CEC Gopalaswami new chairman of Kalakshetra Foundation: The government has appointed former Chief Election Commissioner N Gopalaswami as the new chairman of the governing board of the Chennai-based Kalakshetra Foundation. The Ministry of Culture stated in a notification on Tuesday that Mr. Gopalaswami has been appointed for a term of five years, according to a release from New Delhi. Earlier, on June 3 the government had accepted the resignation of Mr. Gopalkrishna Gandhi from the chairmanship of the foundation.
Wednesday, October 22, 2014
Friends.. Reserve Bank of India has published the result of RBI Assistant 2014 exam held through online mode on 23rd, 24th, 25th, 26th and 28th September 2014. The list of Roll Numbers of Candidates shortlisted for Interview is available. You can check the result from the following link. Congratulations to all the selected candidates!!
View Results: Click Here
1) M.L. Khattar to be next Haryana CM: Manohar Lal Khattar will be the next chief minister of Haryana, the BJP announced on Tuesday. The former Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS) ‘Pracharak’ was chosen by the newly-elected Bharatiya Janata Party legislators as their leader at a meeting. “I have been chosen by the party legislators and the BJP leadership for this responsibility. I can assure you that we will work for the welfare of the people of Haryana,” Khattar said after being elected the leader of the BJP legislative group. Khattar, 60, will be the first BJP chief minister of the state, which was formed Nov 1, 1966. The BJP got the majority on its own for the first time in Haryana in the results of the elections to the 90-member Assembly declared on Sunday.
2) Oscar Pistorius sentenced to five years in prison for killing girlfriend: South African Paralympian star sprinter Oscar Pistorius was sentenced to five years in prison on Tuesday for the killing of his girlfriend last year, as his sensational trial reached a climax. Pistorius, who had vomited and wept at times during the trial, stood stock-still in the dock as he was sentenced, veins bulging in his forehead and his jaw muscles clenched.
3) UK announced first-ever Dadabhai Naoroji Awards: The UK government announced the inaugural Dadabhai Naoroji Awards to honour individuals who have worked to strengthen the UK-India relationship over the years. The three winners included UK India Business Council chair Patricia Hewitt in the commerce category, Dame Asha Khemka for services in the field of education and actor Madhav Sharma for culture.
4) Indian hockey coach Terry Walsh withdraws resignation: In a massive relief to the Indian hockey, chief coach Terry Walsh, who resigned on Tuesday, has withdrawn his resignation after meeting with Sports Authority of India (SAI). Walsh resigned from his post barely three weeks after guiding the team to a historic gold medal in the Asian Games in Incheon and it created quite a flutter in the hockey world. He tendered his resignation because of a "pay dispute". The 60-year-old Australian, himself a noted Olympian, submitted his resignation in dramatic fashion, saying that he was finding it difficult to adjust to the decision making style of the sporting bureaucracy in the country.
5) RTI replies to be put online: Starting next month, all replies given under RTI by ministries will be posted online, available for access to all and not just to persons seeking the information. This will mean unprecedented scale of disclosure and cheer transparency advocates, especially those in the NGO sector with whom this government has had a testy relationship. Until now, only the person filing the RTI application seeking replies from a ministry or a government department would get the reply and that too mostly via post.
6) Global Iodine deficiency disorders prevention Day observed: Global Iodine Deficiency Disorders (GIDD) Prevention Day observed across the World on 21 October 2014. The day was observed to create awareness of the need to prevent iodine deficiency. One third of the world population is exposed to the risk of iodine deficiency disorders. Over 740 million people in 130 countries are facing the health problem.
7) Government to merge crisis-hit NSEL with Financial Technologies: The government has ordered the merger of scam-hit National Spot Exchange (NSEL) with parent Financial Technologies (India), initiating a transaction between two private companies for the first time in the larger public interest.
8) MS Dhoni rested, Virat Kohli to lead India against Sri Lanka: Indian cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and seamer Bhuvneshwar Kumar were left out of the squad for the first three of the five One-Day Internationals(ODI) against Sri Lanka, starting November 2, while star batsman Virat Kohli was named as the stand-in skipper of the 15-man squad selected on Tuesday.
Current Affairs PDF-October 2014
Download as PDF- Click Here
1) Who was sworn-in as the 42nd Chief Justice of India on 28 September 2014?
Ans. Justice H L Dattu
Note: Dattu will have tenure of 14 months as the Chief Justice of India as he will retire from his office on 2 December 2015.
2) Who has sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu on 29 September 2014?
Ans. O Panneerselvam
Note: This was following the resignation of J Jayalalithaa as CM as she was convicted in the 18 year old disproportionate assets case of over 66 crore rupees by Bangalore Special Court.
3) Which team won the Champions League Twenty20 (CLT20) 2014 title on 4 October 2014?
Ans. Chennai Super Kings
4) Google closed which social networking site permanently on 30 September 2014?
5) World Heart Day was observed across the world on 29 September 2014 with the theme?
Ans. Heart Choices NOT Hard Choices
6) Who has sworn in as president of Afghanistan on 29 September 2014?
Ans. Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai
7) Who became the first Indian woman boxer to clinch a gold medal at the Asian Games on 1 October 2014?
Ans. MC Mary Kom
8) Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 3 October 2014 addressed the nation over radio for the first time in his programme named?
Ans. Mann Ki Baat
9) Bangladesh government on 28 September 2014 appointed whom as the new Bangladesh High Commissioner to India?
Ans. Syed Muazzem Ali
10) J Jayalalithaa, the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu was on 27 September 2014 found guilty in the disproportionate assets case by the Special Court in Bangalore and pronounced a jail term of ...... years?
11) Name the India-US Combined Military Training Exercise which concluded at Ranikhet in Uttarakhand on 30 September 2014?
Ans. Yudh Abhyas 2014
12) National Voluntary Blood Donation Day was celebrated on?
Ans. 1 October 2014
13) Which state on 3 October 2014 became the first state of India to start olive refinery?
14) Who has retired as the 41st Chief Justice of India (CJI) on 27 September 2014?
Ans. Justice R M Lodha
15) Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi on 27 September 2014 addressed the 69th session of United Nations General Assembly in?
Ans. New York
Note: He addressed the 193-member UN General Assembly in Hindi.
16) 24th International Day of Older Persons (IDOP) 2014 was observed across the world on 1 October 2014 with the theme?
Ans. Leaving No One Behind: Promoting a Society for All.
17) World Animal Day was recently observed across the world on?
Ans. 4 October 2014
18) World Tourism Day (WTD) was observed across the world on 27 September 2014 with the theme?
Ans. Tourism and Community Development
19) Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 24 September 2014 inaugurated India Food Park at Tumkur in which state?
20) Name the Vigilance Commissioner who was authorised by President Pranab Mukherjee on 30 September 2014 to act as chief of Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) ?
Note: The vacancy for the post of Central Vigilance Commissioner had occurred after Central Vigilance Commissioner Pradeep Kumar completed his tenure on 28 September 2014.
1) Joko Widodo takes over as Indonesian president: Indonesia's Joko Widodo took over as president of the world's third-largest democracy on 20 Oct 2014 with supporters' hopes high but pressing economic problems and sceptical rivals set to test the former furniture businessman. Widodo's narrow victory over a former general in July's election marked the first time in the young democracy's history that a president was elected from outside the established military and political elite.
2) Govt brings in ordinance to e-auction cancelled coal mines: In a move to decide the fate of coal blocks that were de-allocated by the Supreme Court recently, the government on 20 Oct 2014 proposed an ordinance to allow e-auction of mines to private players while adding that state-run companies would be allocated mines directly. The process would be completed in three-four months, finance minister Arun Jaitley said, adding that proceeds of the auction would go directly to states where respective mines are located.
3) World Osteoporosis Day observed: World Osteoporosis Day is observed annually on 20 October, and launches a year-long campaign dedicated to raising global awareness of the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis and metabolic bone disease. Organized by the International Osteoporosis Foundation (IOF), World Osteoporosis Day involves campaigns by national osteoporosis patient societies from around the world with activities in over 90 countries. Osteoporosis is a disease that gradually weakens bones, making them fragile, able to break very easily. Fractures may occur after a small fall, as a result of a sneeze, and even bending over to tie a shoelace.
4) Govt forms panel to frame bankruptcy code: The government has set up a committee to frame bankruptcy law to enable entrepreneurs to close down unviable businesses. The committee under T K Vishwanathan, former Law Secretary, will study the corporate bankruptcy legal framework in India and submit a report by February next year, Finance Ministry said in a statement. Finance Minster Arun Jaitley in 2014-15 Budget had announced that an entrepreneur friendly legal bankruptcy framework would be developed for SMEs to enable easy exit.
5) Nigeria declared Ebola-free by WHO: One of the worst affected countries with Ebola - Nigeria, has been declared disease free. The World Health Organisation declared that Nigeria has successfully contained the virus that has killed more than 4,500 people till now and is steadily spreading across the globe. Africa's most populous country has seen eight deaths due to an outbreak which saw 20 people infected.
6) 123-year-old Mohammedan Sporting Club to shut down: As football fans in India welcomed the birth of a new tournament in Indian Super League (ISL) last week, Monday (October 20) marked the end of one of the country's oldest clubs - Mohammedan Sporting Club. The 123-year-old Mohammedan Sporting Club in Kolkata has decided to shut down due to financial crisis. Founded in 1891, Mohammedan Sporting Club is one of the oldest clubs in India. The players had not received their salaries for the last three months, according to reports. The club's last major titles came in 2013 when it won the Durand Cup and IFA Shield.